Chapter 40| Dumblethorn

PETER
Tuesday; 9:34 pm- Avenger's Facility

I smiled down at sleeping Maria. She didn't seem as feisty as she really was when she had a calm and steady breath.

After all the past events... at the party, where we all found out that TED wasn't really gone (thankfully now they are done) we decided to have another... 'mini' party to celebrate. Which instead of a huge party hosted by Mr. Stark, was a movie night at the Avenger's facility while his mansion was getting remodeled after the destruction done.

Maria and I were behind everyone, lying on the back couch. Somehow, Hawkeye had convinced everyone to watch the Harry Potter series since Mr. Rogers and Bucky didn't even know who Harry Potter was. Odd enough, Natasha finally gave in.

While some sat across the love seats and couches ahead of us, Bucky sat criss-cross in front of the TV, mindlessly shoving popcorn in his mouth. He was completely engaged, along with Hawkeye. Vision found it quite spectacular too and even sat with the group.

However, Maria fell fast asleep around half an hour ago. I was hesitant to move, in case I disturbed her sleep. She laid her sleeping head on top of my chest, where her soft breaths synced with the movements of my beating heart. She was in sort of a fetus position, curled up like a ball. And then her hair flowed behind her. It was a peaceful sight of her.

"NO, NOT DUMBLETHORN!"

"Bucky, I told you many times, it's 'Dumbledore', not 'Dumblethorn'!" said Hawkeye, agitated. I glared at them, but kept quiet, because I didn't want to awake Maria like they almost just did.

My tensed eyes started to loosen though, feeling a wave of sleepiness pass over me. I was strangely comfortable with Maria lying on top of me, it was like the satisfying feeling knowing I was keeping her safe. I let my eyes close, and my breathing slow down. I could feel my thoughts trail off... until nothing was left besides slumber.

"AW, LOOK AT THAT!"

I suddenly jolt right awake, from the alarming voice sounding strangely familiar to Thors'. I settled though, with the realization Maria was still atop of me. I turn and saw all the Avengers staring back at Maria and I. The credits were rolling, with the familiar Harry Potter tune on the TV. I should have noticed it was practically over before I fell asleep.

I began blushing, hopefully, no one could see since it was dim in the room. I could see Mr. Stark smile and roll his eyes at the sight of us.

"Why do they get to have a love life before me?" Sam sarcastically asked, while getting up from the couch.

"Because who would date you?" asked Bucky as he stood up too.

"At least I didn't almost kill my boyfriend, " Sam bickered.

"Honestly, the two of you!" said Wanda, walking straight between them before walking up to where I lied. She smiled down at Maria and I and raised an eyebrow. "Now how are we going to get her off of you?" she teased. I smiled back and opened my mouth to respond before being cut off.

"He probably just wants her to stay like that, Wanda, " sniggered Rhodey. I could hear some of the rest of them laugh, but I was too tired to argue.

"Here, I can get her, " said Mr. Stark, coming up next to Wanda. He pulled up his sleeves and was about to pick her up before Mr. Rogers barged in between them.

"Want help?" he asked. Mr. Stark shook his head fiercely.

"Oh, no, no. I got this."

"You'll probably drop her, knowing you, " Hawkeye noted what Mr. Rogers obviously wanted to say.

"I don't care who picks her up, just don't wake her!" I say, feeling as though it was about to get rowdy.

"Alright, fine Captain, " said Mr. Stark. Mr. Rogers picked her up bridal style easily, which I could see intimidated Mr. Stark.

"Alright, you're free kid, " he said.

"I'll take her out to your car, " whispered Mr. Rogers to Mr. Stark. Everyone else followed him out to go to their own homes, and I was about to swing my way back home as well.

"Ya know, you two are actually kind of cute together, " commented Mr. Stark solemnly. It took me by surprise. We kept walking out, trailing behind the group.

"And why do you say that?"

"Well, when you two finally be quiet, which is only when your sleeping, I see past how obnoxious you both can be, " he smirked. I choose to take it as a compliment since his sincerity is rare.

"Thanks, Mr. Stark."

•••••

"SIGN UP FOR YOUR PHOTOS! SIGN UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" Chelsea screamed over at a foldable table near the exit of the lunchroom. Her voice made me cringe.

"What's all the ruckus about? I wonder if she could be any louder, " I ask Ned and Ashtyn, across from me. Maria was over chatting with some other girls and was giggling and looking back at me. I kept giving Maria the 'Why are they laughing at me?' look.

"Ummm... are you blind?" Ashtyn asked with a short laugh.

"I for sure hope not. Seriously, what's up with everyone lately?" I asked genuinely confused. Ashtyn and Ned looked at each other, and then back at me.

"Dude, homecoming is next week. Didn't you know?" I tried to recall all my memories. No, I did not know.

"Uh... no?" I nervously answer.

"Well, you better ask Maria soon!" Ned exclaimed.

"I-I- well the last time I went to Homecoming- things didn't exactly go as planned so-"

"It doesn't matter, you better-"

"Hey guys, I'm back, " said Maria, startling me as she plopped down next to me.

"What's up?"

"WELL-"

"NOTHING! We are just- uh- you know, eating food!" I cut off Ashtyn right in time. She gives me a weird look, knowing I'm behind something likely. But she laughs at what I said anyway, and I join in to seem normal.

"Whatever you say, bug boy, " she teases, flashing me a smile.

"Exactly, Ms. Stark, " I comment slyly back with a smirk as I ate a piece of my fries. I notice in the corner of my eye Ashtyn smiling at us before whispering something in Ned's ear. Usually, I'd be curious as to what she said, but I couldn't get the thought of how to ask Maria to Homecoming, and better yet, when?