Chapter 12| Drunk

PETER
11:06 pm; Friday- Stanley's Bar

I watch people as they come in and out of the dance floor, some heavily drunk while other's haven't even touched a bottle of beer. You could tell who was drunk by how they danced.

Unless they were just really bad dancers.

I moved around the room swiftly, scanning if anything seemed suspicious. Sure, there were some suspicious people but I mean it is a bar. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

Something seemed off though, I just couldn't put the tip of my tongue on it.

How long has Maria been gone? I thought as I looked down at my watch. '11:07' it read, in bright numbers. Last time I saw her it couldn't have been any later than ten forty.

"Maria?" I ask, even though I didn't think I would get a response. I look around, seeing if I could spot her anywhere. She wasn't at the bar anymore.

Oh no.

My heart kept racing until I made it out to the dance floor, and in the midst of it, was Maria.

Dancing.

"WOOHOO! ICE ICE BABY!" she screamed at the music playing and danced poorly. People watched her, and I swatted them away as I made my way over to her.

"MARIA!" I shouted while she continued to bob her head and move her arms to the beat. She didn't stop dancing when she saw me, but she heard.

"Whatz up Pe...Peter. Yeah, the bug boy. How are ya?" I was confused for a small second, but then I connected the dots.

She's drunk.

"I thought you said you were getting some water! How much did you drink!?"

My heart began racing again, not knowing what to do. How do I explain to Mr. Stark or really anyone I let Maria get drunk on accident?

"Two," she said, shoving three fingers in my face. Even though she didn't say it, I knew she meant two drinks. Maria was a small girl, I knew not much could make her drunk especially since she has never drunk before... that I know of.

"We need to get you home... I gotta call Happy-" I stopped myself, realizing I couldn't in no way call Happy. He would for sure tell Mr. Stark, and I would be dead in less than a minute.

"Let's get a cab," I say, grabbing her hand. She pushed me off though and continued to dance.

"Maria...come on..." I say as I kept trying to get her off the dance floor.

"No way I am leaving! You see that hot man?" she said, pointing at a random guy with ginger hair. I was already embarrassed, and I wasn't even her.

"HE NEEDS ME. He may not know me, but he needs me in his life." I laugh awkwardly, happy the man couldn't hear her.

"I mean look at that face-" she tripped on her own feet, and she started falling to the ground. I grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back up in time.

"Okay. We can go."

I laugh at her and guided her outside. She would occasionally ramble random stuff, the thoughts she generally wouldn't share with people.