Chapter 8| Training

MARIA
2:53 pm; Wednesday- Happy's car

I go into the black shiny car like usual after school. I smile at Happy as he looks at me back from the rearview window.

"Hello, Maria-"

He was cut off by a body coming into the car and taking a seat behind Happy's seat.

"Hey, Happy! It's me, Peter, remember-"

"What is he doing here?!" Happy asked me, as he completely turned around his body to look at Peter to see if it was for sure him. He glared at the boy, they must have met before somehow. Peter seemed oblivious to the upset Happy.

"I was wondering the same thing," I mumble flatly, hoping no one would hear.

"Didn't my dad tell you he was coming?" I ask, loud enough this time for Happy and well Peter too to hear. Happy turned back around and forcefully stuck the keys in to start the car.

"Oh, he told me alright. I just thought maybe if I prayed enough to god last night he wouldn't actually show up," he said, as he quickly past all the cars waiting to leave the parking lot.

Peter didn't seem to care that much what Happy thought, he just stared out of the window in his own thoughts with both earbuds in. I sighed as the whole car remained in complete silence, beside the small tapping I would hear from Peter's foot now and then.

·····

"Well look who it! Little Maria Maria and Underdoos!" my dad declared, as he walked in the Avenger's facility kitchen to find me, Peter, and Happy waiting for him.

I was eating a granola bar silently. Peter stood a grand distance from me, while Happy stood somewhere in between us. He was wearing sunglasses, despite the fact we were inside.

"I am going to go head out, call me if you need anything Stark," Happy informed, as he already turned to leave without a response from my father.

"Sure thing..." he trailed off, watching Happy until he completely left the kitchen. Once he heard the 'slam,' from the door, he instantly turned back to us.

"Alright kiddos, Steve is waiting in the training room. Natasha and Clint I believe are there too," he turned in the direction of where we would go to find the room. He turned back to just me now, looking me in the eye.

"Take Peter down there. I will be working with you more tomorrow, but I am busy today so you both are in their hands. Toodles," he said, before making his way to his lab.

He quickly, however, turned back to me though, unexpectedly, and snatched my granola bar as he kept making his way out of the room.

"You jerk," I teased, even though I didn't really care. I ate most of it anyway.

"Whoops," he sarcastically said, while dramatically taking a bite of the delicious bar.

"But Mr. Stark-" Peter began to say but stopped when he heard the 'slam' of the door, indicating my dad left.

Poor Peter, I smuggling thought.

I started following the path to the training room, not even saying a word to Peter. Luckily he took the sign and followed close behind.

Once we reached the training room and were inside of it, Peter looked around and up the walls in amazement. The Avenger's facility had a pretty decent training room since half of the Avenger's all they ever did was a train. There were platforms everywhere, with different types of equipment. Some I didn't even know the name of.

"I am assuming you have never been in the training room?" Natasha drew my attention, as she spoke looking at the stunned Peter. She had her hands on her hips, with her full black widow outfit on.

He shook his head slowly, not taking eyes off the ginormous room. She smiled softly at him, while she nudged her head back in a sign to follow her.

"Where's Steve and Clint?" I asked, next to her while we continued to walk. Peter hung far behind us, still looking at everything as he walked.

"We're right here." I turned my head to see Clint and Steve, waiting for us near an open space. There were some weapons on a shelf nearby, most likely for me and not Peter.

"Hello Stevieo," I sang, while he slightly smiled.

"Hello, where's the spider thing?"

"I'm right here!"

An excited Peter came into view, while he stood near Natasha. Clint raised an eyebrow at the squeaky teenager.

"Okay...well I guess we can get started. First thing's first-"

"Mr. Rogers, Dr. Banner would like to see you now," Friday interrupted Steve, almost startling me.

Steve furrowed his eyebrows, "We are training right now. Can't he wait?"

"I am afraid not sir. He also needs to see Mr. Barton and Miss. Romanoff."

Steve sighed, most likely realizing whatever it might be is important.

"Alright, we will head down soon," Steve said, with no reply from the AI. He turned to both me and Peter now, while Natasha and Clint grabbed some of their gear to head down to the lab.

"I want you both testing your skills and practicing while we're gone. No goofing off," he said, more so to Peter than me. I smugly smiled while he talked to Peter and not me.

"That goes for you too, Maria. I'll be back," he said, before making his way out along with Clint and Natasha.

My smile faded slowly though, realizing it was just me and the big kid now. Deciding it would be better to keep myself busy than stay in awkward silence, I went and grabbed a simple pistol from one of the shelves. There were targets nearby, so I practiced my aim.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Peter starting to take off his clothes, which freaked me out at first, but I soon saw the spider-suit underneath it all.

Smart, I thought.

He kept his mask off, however, likely because there isn't such a need for it right now. He started to walk to right next to me, which surprised me, but once he started shooting the aims with his web stuff, it made sense.

I hummed in silence, appreciating his quietness.