Chapter 1

I've always had a tiny little crush on Ethan Walker. The hot jock with blue eyes, a gorgeous face and not to mention his placid persona. I never admitted it to anyone and for the longest time, I had not admitted it to myself either.

Ethan and I grew up together. He used to live just a few houses away from mine, until he chose to move to the other side of town with his mother, leaving his dad, as a continual member of our neighbourhood. At the time, we were really close and spent every summer together, although over the years it changed. I can't say that we remained best friends neither can I say that we became complete strangers.

Ethan and Noah played for the school's football team. Noah was the captain and Ethan was the quarterback . Noah and I became really close friends in middle school and it remained that way. He and my best friend Madison (or Maddie) had gotten together in middle school and walked into high school as a couple.

It was impossible to talk Maddie out of going to even one of Noah's games. She had promised him that she would always be there with him, through victory and even through loss. She managed to drag me to every single game along with her. However, I did not mind it because I found football fairly interesting and most importantly, I  got to watch Ethan play. Every time he scored, he did a special little dance known as the 'E-bop' , which drove the crowd crazy and left them chanting "Once more! Once more!". This was my favourite part of the entire game, regardless of whether they won or lost.

Although Noah was the captain of the football team, all the girls went for Ethan, not only because of his attractive face but also because of his easy-going personality.

Initially, a lot of people questioned Noah's disposition because he shot nasty comments at people. I knew that this was because he had problems with his mother at home and unintentionally directed that anger at them but in return, they remarked at him by saying that he was not what they called "boyfriend material".  This never affected Maddie as she never cared about what the others thought about him because behind all the agitation was a young man going through a rough patch in life.

Unlike Maddie, I was never the type of girl who dreamt of having a boyfriend in high school. I had my priorities straight : doing well at studies, making it to state basketball, making the most of my family and friends and getting into a good college.