Dreams and Memories

"You'll never be able to catch me!" Anna giggled as she ran away from her sister.

"Stop in the name of the law!" shrieked Elsa with just as much delight as her companion. "All escaped convicts must go back to jail!"

Anna continued to scamper forward, going as fast as her chubby little legs would carry her. It was a fairly warm day outside, but thanks to Elsa's magic, a thin blanket of snow coated the field on which the two children were playing.

She stopped for a moment to catch her breath and took a look around. Her sister was nowhere in sight. Had Anna won the game? She waited for a moment before taking action just to be sure.

Nothing.

With a victorious grin, Anna got to her feet and began running back to her "hideout"...but was stopped in her tracks as bars made out of ice began coming out the ground, caging her up.

"No!" yelled Anna, but she was laughing as she did so. "Not again!"

"I always win, Anna" said Elsa, finally letting herself be seen and twirling her fingers to complete work on Anna's "jail." With a few quick hand gestures, a roof of snow covered the top of the cage, entrapping the six year old girl.

"It doesn't matter," said Anna defiantly as she pretended to try to yank at the bars. "I'll escape! I always do!"

"No, you won't," said Elsa, and her smile abruptly changed from cheeky to cruel. "Not now. Not ever."

Then she was gone.

Anna's eyes moved around nervously. Was this another trick?

"Elsa!" she called out. "Elsa!"

Nothing.

"Okay, you win," said Anna, starting to get a bit scared. "Please come back and let me out!"

Nothing.

"Let me out now, Elsa!" screamed Anna, banging on the bars of her cage. She pushed on the roof, but it had transformed from fluffy snow into solid ice. "This isn't funny! LET ME OUT!"

Harder and harder she pounded. Colder and colder the bars of ice became. No matter what she did, they wouldn't budge.

"NO!" she yelled in terror. "NO, NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOO!"

Anna suddenly opened her eyes, surprised to find herself out of breath. It had only been a nightmare...a nightmare which, given where she was, wasn't over now that she had woken up.

She stared up at the ceiling, not wanting to face the day, and not wanting to look around her cell and lament about how small her new living conditions were. So she decided to focus her attention on the dream.

She had forgotten how she and Elsa had used to play "jailbreak" when they were young. It had been a game which they had both loved. But now that Anna thought about it, she realized that she had always been the one playing the escaped prisoner, and that Elsa had always been the officer who was chasing her.

And even though no game had ever ended in the horrific way that her dream just had, Elsa was always the winner. No matter what Anna did, she always ended up "in jail."

That was all so long ago. It almost felt as if Anna were remembering someone else's childhood, not her own. But in a way, their roles hadn't changed. Elsa was still the "officer," and Anna was still the "prisoner," only in this situation, there would be no chance of her ever "escaping."

It was only now that it came to her that she had no memory of ever laying down on her new bed, much less placing a blanket over her body. Had she fallen asleep while holding the bars of her cell door last night? Had she sleepwalked into the bed without knowing it?

She then became aware of a pair of green eyes staring at her.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," said the inmate. "You snore a lot louder than my old cellmate did. Did you know you have a snoring problem?"

Anna rubbed her eyes.

"I don't even know how I got in this bed," she mumbled. "All I remember is..."

"Oh, you fell asleep on the floor," the prisoner interrupted. "I felt bad for ya, so I helped you into your new bed...although 'bed' is rather generous word to use to describe that thing, really."

Anna briefly examined her new roommate. She was unquestionably young, had freckles on her face, and a short haircut of tangled brown hair.

"I'm Anna," said Anna uncertainly, not knowing if that was how you were supposed to introduce yourself in prison or not.

"Hello, Anna," said the inmate with a smile. "Girls around her call me 'Goldie'...although my real name is Rapunzel."