Chapter Twenty-three

Start from the beginning

He keyed his mike again. "Subject has left the interstate, heading west on 54." He glanced at Mike. "She's not getting away heading through town. We've got her!"

John had only been through Ashland twice, counting today. 54 ran past a pile of little cross streets and shops, past Randolph-Macon College and the big town coffeehouse. Then the speed limit went up to fifty-five and the road stretched on through countryside. But before that lay a congested intersection and the railroad tracks.

"I hope she doesn't think she's going to plow through here like a bat out of hell," said Mike.

At the end of the ramp the Ashland black-and-white crept forward, ready to join the chase. Marian pulled off the road and cut him off, slipping around the cars ahead of her into a hole in traffic. Green pulled onto 54 several cars behind her. Ahead, traffic was slowing down to stop at a light.

"You guys stay here, I'm getting out," said Mike. He jumped out, slammed the door, and started for the blue Civic, one hand on his badge and the other—

John saw his hand grip empty air. He had forgotten he was unarmed. John unbuckled his seat belt, about to jump out himself, when the light turned green.

Mike reached Marian's car and started rapping on her passenger window with his badge. Marian hit the gas and moved through the intersection. Green followed, lights and siren still going. Two of the cars ahead of them turned right into a convenience store parking lot so Green could close the gap between his patrol unit and the Civic. John saw some blue lights on the other side of the street, farther down 54.

"She's screwed," said Green. "We've got her now."

Mike started running down the street after the Civic, then gave up and waited for Green to pull up. He slid back into the passenger seat, shaking his head, and waved a hand at the congestion. "Where does she think she's going?"

"She's a moron," said John.

54 crawled toward town. From the oncoming lane, one of the patrol cars turned left and nosed its way across the westbound lane in front of the Civic, bringing traffic to a halt.

"Okay, lady," said Green. "It's over. Stop."

Marian braked in front of a gas station, then pulled in and drove the length of the parking lot. She bumped over the curb, then across the grass, into the next parking lot, and back onto the road around the road block.

John, Mike, and Officer Green all erupted in groans. "Aww, come on, lady!" Green pounded his steering wheel.

"This is getting ridiculous," said John. It was beginning to remind him of the O.J. Simpson chase: miles and miles puttering along for no reason.

The road block car pulled into the gas station and turned around to join the chase. Traffic wound through town and past the college on the left. Ahead, red lights started flashing on the railroad crossing arms, and the gates started down.

"Ha, ha, lady!" said Mike. "She's not going to make it. Get ready to run, Johnny!"

He may have gotten the crap kicked out of him in several fistfights on patrol, but nobody ran faster than John Robin. As traffic pulled to a halt, he cracked his door open.

"How much do you bet she's gonna run?" said Mike. "She's an idiot. She's gonna run."

As the train approached the intersection, Marian opened her door and jumped out—wearing her pantyhose, her suit jacket, athletic shoes, and no skirt. Green pointed. "Half-naked! Look at that!"