XXIII

"He won't tell you but Aiden still thinks you should skip this art auction," Link mentioned as I walked out of the dressing room of my favorite boutique.

"He'll get over it. I'm going," I replied adjusting the fabric of the dress I was trying on. "And I am positive that isn't sparkling apple cider in that glass you're holding," I noted as I watched him swirl his complementary white wine in the full length mirror, looking more than comfortable in a plush leather arm chair.

He shrugged.

"I'll be 21 soon enough. Maybe before you find a dress. Come on this is like the umpteenth one you've tried on!"

"What? Don't you like hanging out with me?" I turned, putting on a fake pout.

"Oh that's not fair," he defended himself. "Of course I do. But dress shopping? Perhaps this is an activity best suited for you and someone like Serena?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and he smirked mischievously.

"All I'm saying is that I don't see how you've forgiven Aiden and not extended the same kindness to Serena."

With the time we've spent together, Link had gotten quite acquainted with all of the complicated history Aiden and I share. He never missed an opportunity to offer his advice. He means well so I usually listen, even if I'm too stubborn to accept it.

"Key word: forgiven. Not befriended. Aiden and I are associates, we're simply working towards a common goal. Now can we get back to me please? Clearly I value your opinion."

"Liar," he laughed. "You look beautiful in everything! What you've got on now, though, just might be the one."

"Only if the original supermodels would approve," I reminded him, turning back towards the mirror to admire the yellow, floor-length, spaghetti-strapped wrap dress.

"I'm sure Naomi's mind would be blown, Blair. Just shattered—pieces all over the runway."

"All right then. I trust you."

Not much later we found ourselves at Link's favorite coffee shop. "So what is it that Aiden wanted to meet up about?" I asked as he removed his glasses to clean them.

"I'm not sure, it sounded important, though."

"It is."

We both turned our attention to Aiden as he approached and casually slid into what had become our usual booth.

"How so?" I asked as he settled himself next to me.

"Well the auction is in two days and my mother and Ms. Walker had Noah and I pick up the programs yesterday. There's supposed to be a few special guests so I took the liberty of looking into them."

Link and I watched curiously as Aiden unfolded one and set it on the table for us to see, pointing towards a name. "This man, Terrence Williams, I think he might be able to give us some insight on Regosa."

"Why him?" Link questioned. "Did Mrs. Hughes prosecute him too?"

Aiden nodded.

"Yes, for acting as a conspirator in some elaborate embezzlement scheme. She had his charges dropped in the end. None of that matters though," he answered. "What matters is that he and Regosa were in the same facility while on trial."

"Maybe they knew each other, then," Link realized.

Having noticed that I'd gone quiet, Aiden sighed, resting his cheek in his palm. "What's the problem?"

I didn't answer, noticing the slight tinge of annoyance in his voice.

As if he'd read my mind, Link interjected on my behalf.