V

Blair's POV

"Ma'am?"

I looked up at the EMT standing in front of me. I couldn't bring myself to say anything to him. It was like my voice had gotten zipped up in that bag along with her body.

"I need to examine you. Is that alright?"

The man laid a hand on my arm gently and spoke softly.

"You're covered in blood, I need to examine you."

A voice spoke from behind him.

"It's not hers."

The EMT nodded and walked away, leaving me sitting on the back edge of his rig.

As he stepped away I was met with the face of Aiden. It was emotionless as always. He stepped closer to me and extended his hand. I stared at it without saying anything.

"Your dad asked me to take you over to Serena's. He said chances are he won't make it home tonight. He doesn't want you alone right now. She already dropped by your place for some clothes, so I can take you straight over there."

I shook my head no.

Aiden let out a sigh and scratched the back of his neck. He wasn't used to having to be this patient with me. I could tell he didn't know how to be around me at the moment.

"Blair, there's nothing you can do here. You need to get some rest."

I nodded slowly and took his outreached hand. He led me to his car, and he put one hand over my eyes so I wouldn't have to look at my surroundings. He opened the door for me and strapped me in. I watched him as he walked around the front of the car to the driver's seat. He got into the car and as he started to drive away, I looked into the rear view mirror. I could see the clean-up committee being questioned by the police. What was the point? There's nothing any of them can say that'll help.

Serena opened up as soon as Aiden knocked on her apartment door. She must've been standing there waiting for us. Aiden had to gently push me inside because I just stood there staring at her.  As soon as I was inside I turned my attention to her television. She had it on the local news channel. She rushed to turn it off as she noticed me watching it.

"Blair? I set up the guest room for you, and I've got your bag laying on the bed along with some towels. There's a bathroom in your room so..."

Her eyes got watery as she noticed the dry blood all over me.

"You can take a shower," she finished.

I'd visited her apartment before so I already knew where the room was. I gently brushed past her and made my down the hallway to the room. I opened the door and went straight into the bathroom. I didn't know exactly what to do with my bloody dress so I just took it off and left it on the tile floors. I got into the shower and turned the water on as hot as it could get. I needed to get this dried blood off of me. I washed my body and watched as the red water went down the drain. No matter how hard I scrubbed I still felt like I had her blood on my skin. I stayed in there for at least a half an hour.

When I got out of the shower I rummaged through the bag of clothes that Serena had packed for me looking for some PJ's. I threw them on and walked out towards the living room. I saw Aiden and Serena sitting on the couch together. She must've turned the TV back on while I was in the shower.  Serena cried as she listened to the news anchor explaining everything that had happened. Aiden had his face in his hands. They didn't even noticed me as I stood behind them with my eyes glued on the television screen.

"Serena?" I spoke, my voice breaking.

Serena quickly turned the TV off again.  She stood up and walked over to me. She didn't say anything, she just pulled me in for a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, Blair, I am so sorry."

I didn't hug her back. I just stood there. She was comforting herself way more than she was comforting me. Eventually she let go and then Aiden stood up.

"I'm gonna head home but call me if you need me okay?"

For the first time in years he looked like he cared about someone other than himself.

He left and then Serena walked me back to the guest room. She kept asking me if I needed anything and then she kissed me on the cheek, wished me a goodnight, and left me to myself after I didn't reply.

But I couldn't fall asleep. I was afraid to sleep. I was afraid I would dream about her. I couldn't even cry.  The tears would form in my eyes but they would never fall. I tossed and turned all night. I kept shifting the blanket onto and then off of my body because I couldn't decide if I was hot or cold. I knew that this would only be the first of a series of sleepless nights.

\\\\\\\\\\

And the plot thickens ...

You guys know what to do! Make sure to dance on that vote button, leave a comment, and add this story to your libraries because I am on a roll! Thank you for reading 😘

XO