Chapter 3 - Earth Kills

Myles and Monty had spent the next few days restless. Whenever their injured best friend called out in pain, the two would rouse and jump up to comfort him. The feverish teen was in excruciating pain, and couldn't keep quiet. Every time the wounded boy would settle, so would Myles and Monty. It didn't take long for the delinquents in the camp to become annoyed with the boys agonised cries.

Monty had managed to block out most of the disgruntled teens when they started making their displeasure known, but Myles couldn't bear to shut her eyes or move away from the injured boy. The redhead had heard a murmur from below them, wishing her best friend to die so they could have peace and quiet. She's thankful Monty didn't seem to hear it, the result it would've had on the worn out teen would've been catastrophic.

So, instead of sleeping, Myles spent most of the time sitting by Jaspers head with her legs crossed, wide, horrified eyes watching over her best friend as he writhes in pain. Unable to do much more than comfort him as best she could and keep a cool, wet rag on his forehead and neck, the red haired girl felt more helpless than ever before in her life. Red eyebrows stuck in a concerned, furrowed position as she prays to a god she doesn't believe in to relieve the teen of his pain.

Charlotte would come and find her whenever she had another nightmare, and the redhead would comfort her until she was calm enough to get back to sleep. Eventually, Charlotte would leave and Myles would move back over to Jasper, and sit with her knees pulled up to her chest, her left arm hugging her legs as her right hand tried to soothe the groaning, squirming teen.

Clarke didn't stray far from the three best friends, constantly checking on Jasper and doing whatever she could. Jasper's fever greatly worried the blonde, and naturally, the two best friends with her. The group had moved Jasper up to the top level of the dropship to give the delinquents some space and to allow Monty access to the best cluster of live wires they had. 

Monty awoke with the majority of campers, but he didn't leave the dropship. The black haired teen sat there for a moment, watching his two best friends before getting up. Walking up to them both and crouching beside them.

Rubbing his hand on Jasper's arm lightly, a few centimetres above where Myles's slender fingers are gliding back and forth against the feverish skin, Monty turns his head to the redhead. Moving his hand up to grip the skinny girls wrist loosely, the black haired teen leans forward to place a platonic kiss her temple.

"Morning," he greets as he stands, voice deep from sleep.

"Morning," the redhead repeats, not moving her hazel eyes away from their injured best friend.

Monty walks over to where he'd been working on the wristbands the day before, and the teen sighs heavily before plopping down on the floor. The boy had made no progress, but he keeps pulling wristbands apart, hoping for a sign of something salvageable.

The quiet exchange must've stirred Clarke, because she sits up from her sleeping spot and rubs her eyes. Both best friends apologise instantly, but the blonde waves them off, coming to kneel beside Jasper.

"His pulse is thready," Clarke states, unhappy with the boy's condition, as he moans loudly in pain.

Monty and Clarke look up from their tasks as teens yell out, asking for the distressed boy to be quiet.

"Don't listen to them," Clarke tells Jasper softly, "you're gonna make it through this, okay? Promise."

It's well into the third morning when the two attempt to pry Myles away. Teens scattered throughout the camp, chatter flowing into the dropship with the bright sunlight. Clarke is tending to the feverish boys wounds and Monty is dissecting wristbands, the redhead just sitting there, stroking her fingers along her injured best friends arm.