Chapter 1:Matthew Hurst

I wonder how I survived that day, I wonder how I made it through the fire. I sometimes wonder if that verial had let me live, but I know that that isn't true. The verial had tried to kill me too, that I am sure, but for some unknown reason I lived. I got out of the fire. I don't even remember any heat, I remember no pain.
               That day my parents and younger sister had died. Their bodies had been burned completely. Since then I've been on the run, using the money they left to travel the world in order to study the verials. I am looking for the one who killed my family. She's dangerous. Her name is Knight, Octavia Knight. I have planned the past three years to kill her. The one who killed my parents. I have planned and today it starts. Today my plan to kill her begins.

On my journeys around the world I have found many verials. My plan starts with getting three of them to help me. My plan is to reach out to them, asking them to help me with my plan. I have located three fallen verials that had strong enough powers. Three verials that Knight has hurt, or tried to kill. Three verials that I have tracked down, three that either are hurt or dying. Three at their lowest lows. I hope to help these three fallen souls. I hope to turn them strong again. I hope to use them to destroy Knight.

The first fallen verial I located was Matthew Hurst. Age 53, tall with large build. Matthew was gifted with the ability to talk to people through his mind, to make them see visions, real or fake. Matthew fell two weeks ago. His weakness was his grandmother. She had rescued him from his abusive father. She had taken him in. He had developed a need for her, so that is what his weakness became. Knight had found this out, some way or another. She had tracked his grandmother down. She had walked right into her house. She had looked directly at her, closed her eyes and had turned her to salt.

Matthew had died on the inside. He is now hiding out in Vancouver, Canada. He is hiding, because at the moment is just as able to kill as me. He is just human. I am flying there tonight. He is in hiding, hoping no verials here of his fallen condition. I know where he is hiding though. He is staying with his cousin Sara Hurst. Sara lives at 59 Dawson Street. That is where I will find Matthew. That is where my plan goes into action.

I boarded the plane thirty minutes ago. I know that there is not a single verial on board. I can feel it. I look around the plane and look to my left. I am sitting in a middle seat. To my left is a woman whose look holds grand sophistication. To my right is a man holding the same look. I assume they must be disgusted with me. I know my hair looks pretty rough. Living in an apartment with just a bathtub does that to one. I also know my clothes aren't to high end looking either, but I am trying not to spend too much money. I don't care much what they think though. I lost my fear of people looking down on me a long time ago. I pull out my phone and turn on a podcast, then I lean back and fall into a deep sleep.

I feel the plane rumbling before I know we're landing. I look outside the window, and see what I thought I would see. Nothing more than an airport. I know that I am onto something right now though. I step off the plane and grab my bag from the carousel. I notice a boy that looks no more than two years older than me grab his bag after me. He is tall, maybe 6,1. He's wearing an old Adidas jacket and worn out jeans. I turn away and walk to the gift shop, he enters the gift shop as well. I also notice when he takes the same path I take out. I hurry outside and step into the taxi I reserved. As we turn away from the airport I see him turn the corner and look confused. I smile to myself, I had lost him. I also know that he isn't a verial, verials have a hair color similar to mine. Black with brown streaks. The boy had light brown hair. He didn't have the extra gene, but I can't help but wonder if I've been made already.

I get the taxi driver to let me out at a Walmart after I pay him. I walk in and head to the very back of the store. There are a few vitals I will need. I grab a small hand pistol, some bullets and a duck decoy. The pistol and bullets I will need, the duck decoy is just to make it look like I'm not planning on killing anyone. Which if anyone asks me I'm not. I don't actually need the gun for this part of my mission. I just need it in the case that I run into trouble. Which I most likely will, so I probably will need it. My hope is that Matthew sees me as I am, a harmless human trying to get revenge.

            I turn down the cookie aisle and grab a box of granola bars. I turn away and walk to the checkout. I hand the cashier my gun licence as well as three wadded hundred dollar bills. Surprised, well value costs. I receive my change and take the receipt. Then I walk away, I turn out of the checkout lane and walk towards the door. As I walk towards the glass walkway I see a figure in the reflection looking at me. A figure wearing a jacket with three stripes and light brown hair. A figure I've seen before.

After seeing the figure I had rushed through the doors and into the street. I had then called a taxi and left quite quickly. I am now standing at the end of Dawson Street. I am preparing myself to meet Matthew. I walk down the road, my sneakers hitting the pavement. I can feel my gun edging against my right side. My bag is digging against my back. I feel the wind blow through my hair. I watch the house numbers get close and closer to 59. I turn into the driveway and walk up to the front door. I press my hand against the doorbell, and I knock with my other hand. I listen but hear no response, so I turn the knob on the door. I here a click then a creak as I pull the door open. I step inside the house and close the door behind me. I pull out my gun and cock it. I turn to my left

and walk into the living room. I turn to grab a picture on the piano. It holds two smiling children and a couple. The man is kissing his wife's cheek and the children are covering their eyes. Then I hear a cock, and I feel metal against my skin.

"One more and you're dead" the feminine voice behind me whispers. I feel a small shiver go down my spine, but I am not afraid. I have nothing left to fear. My whole family was taken from me, at this point I have nothing to lose. I clear my throat and talk "I wouldn't recommend that," I slowly turn around. "My name is Jupiter Greenberg and I am not here to hurt you, or your family, I need to talk to Matthew." The gun digs deeper into my neck.

"How do you know about Matthew." I turn fully around to face her, the gun is still right to my skin. "I know what happened to him, I want to try to kill Knight." I look at her, she looks back at me. Then I hear a voice behind her, a masculine yet weak voice, "Let her speak." I look from where the sound comes from and see a young man. Brown hair with streaks. He has a tall large build. I am standing in front of a fallen verial.

The man walks towards me, I notice he seems physically healthy, but I know inside he is almost dead, losing your ability will do that to one. He stands in front of me and opens his mouth, "Yes". I look at him confused,

"Pardon?"

He looks me flat in the eye. "Yes, I will help you kill Knight. I have a theory I need to test, and mostly I need revenge. I've tried tracking her but it's awfully hard, she's using

Theocon-"

I finish his sentence, "Theocondriac material to send us in different directions. I also know what her real trail leaves behind. I have all this information, but I need your help. I'm putting together a crew, a group to help me find Knight, to help me kill her. You're one of the people I found. I know what she did to you, and I know what you want to test. I think it could work too. Killing the person who killed yours might bring back your extra gene. " Matt looks right at me,

"I'm willing to join your cause, not because I think you going to win this war but because this is my chance at getting myself back. Who are we finding now?"