16: Familiar Stranger P2

Start from the beginning

He clenched his jaw and nodded.

"How?" I asked in English.

"I could ask the same." He murmured.

"Yes, but I don't know why. Do you know why?"

He didn't respond.

"Of course you do. You just refuse to tell me." I turned my head again.

His hand came under my chin. "Alexis, I'm so sorry."

I leaned back so his hand could drop. "Why are you apologising?"

He swallowed. "I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything yet."

"What does that even mean? What do you mean by 'yet'?"

"It means..." He frowned. "There is so much I want to tell you, Lexie, but I don't know how you'll react."

"You're not making any sense. You're saying things that only confuses me more and you've repeated yourself over and over again."

"I know. It's the only way to keep you away from the truth."

I shut my eyes and thought about what the man said about what I will become--

"Don't." Gabriel warned. "Don't even think about that. Ever. Forget it or I'll do it for you." He said firmly.

My eyes widened.

"I'm sorry," He mumbled. "But there are some things better left unsaid."

I nodded and did what he said. I forgot it.

For now.

"Gabriel, I need some answers." My eyes averted to his birthmark. I never really notice it anymore because I learnt to get used to it.

"I can't give you any. Not yet."

"When?"

He shook his head. "When the time is right."

"So you promise everything will make sense when the time is right or whatever?"

He nodded. "Yes."

Good because right now everything is in a right mess, I thought to myself. He heard me and chuckled.

"Go to sleep now." He suddenly said.

I raised a brow. "Why?"

"Because I said so. You're going to be sleep deprived if you don't."

He shuffled sideways so I could get under the comforter.

I yawned and stretched. "Are you staying?"

He nodded but then frowned. "I have to leave in the morning."

I watched him as he watched me.

And then I sighed. "Alright. Will you be back?"

He nodded again.

I closed my eyes. I knew Gabriel was still watching me I could feel it. But I ignored it and let sleep take over.

***

I was startled awake by a click.

Oh god no. Was that guy back?

I opened my eyes and literally almost screamed but instead I scowled and yelled, "What the hell are you doing here!"

Tristan smirked and sauntered over to the edge of my bed. He was topless, just like Gabriel, but he didn't have a birthmark on his muscled chest or arm.