The Lights

For _ranabanana

"Wake up." I poked Mitch side. He groaned, rolling on his side. I wish I could sleep again. I remember finding it so peaceful. I loved to escape into my dreams. My imagination was haywire. That's why my wife was always worried when I spaced. "Wake up Mitch." I poked the human again.

"Scott. Go away." He brushed my hand away. I decided I was bored with playing with him. I climb on the bed next to him and began kissing his neck lightly. He made a small noise. "I'm sleeping." I rolled my eyes. What a goody two shoes. I moved my hand above the waistband of his pajama bottoms.

"Last warning."

"Go away." He mumbled. I shrugged. I warned him. I slipped my hand in his pants. He sat up quickly, knocking his forehead into mine. I felt a sharp pain go through my head.

"Ow!" Mitch covered my mouth with the hand that wasn't rubbing his forehead.

"Shush. You'll wake up the whole neighborhood." He was speaking in a whisper. I nodded. I don't know how I would wake up everyone but Mitch knew more about this then I did. I think he noted my confusion. "It's an expression. I mean you're going to wake up my grandma."

"I don't care."

"I do. She'll banned you from ever coming over again." I laughed quietly.

"She can try." He smiled his adorable little smile. He framed my face. I panicked when I realized my eyes were red. I have let Mitch keep his memories for a week but that doesn't mean he needs to know how much of a demon I really am.

"I think I like your red eyes. They're unique." The springs of bed creaked as we slowly leaned in to connect our lips. It felt weird to be going so slow during intimacy. But it was nice. "Why'd you wake me up Scott?"

"I want to show you something. Dress warm." After waiting for Mitch to bundle himself up, I teleported us somewhere special. There was soft piano music playing as we landed in the snow.

"Oh Scott." Mitch covered his mouth with his gasp. He was looking up at the northern lights. I brought him over to the tent where it had a see through roof. We were laying on the blankets, our pinkies hooked together under our thick gloves. He began rubbing his free hand on my arm to warm my skin. "Why'd you bring me here?"

"I found this a long time ago. I promised myself that I would bring someone I thought was different here." I was staring up at the beautiful colors intwining like ropes in the sky. The soft music was playing in the background.

"And I'm that person?" I turned my head to look at him.

"I can't feel the cold." There was no surprise in his eyes. "You knew this and yet....you still tried to warm my skin." There was a red tint coming to his cheeks. It could be from the cold or my words. "Yeah. You're that person." I could feel the cold when his chilled lips pressed against mine. I savored the feeling of a small heartbeat. He broke the kiss.

"How are you crying?" I wiped the tear that came down my cheek. It was a lone expression of my old pent up feelings. I shook my head.

"It's not important." I smiled at the feeling of a small chill going down my spine. Mitch curled up to my chest. We watched the lights for a little while longer until I felt he was asleep. That's when I took him home and put him to bed. He was untainted and I could see his future without me.

Mitch wouldn't meet a boy until his sophomore year in college. They would stay together for a long time. Being married for six years to be exact. It wasn't a happy marriage though. Mitch gets belittled, beaten, even raped by his own husband.

Then they adopt a kid. Mitch's husband beginnings doing the same thing to the little boy. And when Mitch tried to speak up to save his child, his husband breaks his neck and dispossess of the body by burying it in the basement. Mitch will be dead by twenty five, his child will have killed himself, and his husband would have remarried.

But the thing is, that could be the better life for him. If I were to intervene, he could die tomorrow or be tortured for all eternity. There was not a good option for this boy. His strength would begin to diminish in hours. He would become a shell of his former self.

"I'm sorry." He flinched in his sleep as a tear of mine fell on his cheek. There is no good outcome. I could see the future that I was involved in but I'm a fucking demon. How could his life be better with me? I'm evil. Sure I was once human. My human self is gone though. These little heartbeats or rushes of temperature or emotion were the impossible that would never be constant.

This innocent human boy that was sleeping in front of me would go through so much no matter what. He was fucked to be completely honest. Soon I'd have to give him the option of what life he wants to live. And I have to do it before he gets attached to me. Or if I get attached to him....even more than now.