Chapter Sixteen

It was noon the next day, and the rain still poured relentlessly with no signs of stopping any time soon. Dark gray clouds shifted across the sky and lightning and thunder clashed outside of the inn.

Revali and I sat in his room, talking.

"Are you hungry?" Revali asked. "I can go get some carrots from the general store."

I nodded, hunger hollowing my stomach. I hadn't eaten breakfast in the morning, and I was famished. I was also exhausted ; I hadn't gotten any sleep the night before.

"Alright," Revali got up from the floor and walked to the door. "I'll be right back." He walked out and closed the door behind him.

Immediately, I stood up. There were papers and journals scattered across Revali's desk, and I had wanted to see them since I had come into the room. I walked up to the desk and pushed the papers around, examining them. Most of them were poems, but there were a few drawings. One of Vah Medoh, one of the majestic Rito Village wrapped around its tall, stony pillar, and one of me.

I picked up the paper in my hands. It was a detailed pencil sketch of me, holding my lightscale trident and looking confident and happy. The drawing made me smile. He cared about me. It felt good to be cared about.

I set the paper back down and continued searching through the mess of papers and journals. I picked up a dark leather notebook and opened it. A short poem was scribbled onto the paper in black ink :

Pride of the Rito

Pillar in the Sky

Its heart lights up

When the sun is high

The heart shines upon

A path not whole

But a warming flame

Can stir its soul

I stared in awe at the beautiful poem. I wondered if Revali had written it himself. Eager to read more, I flipped the pages of the notebook. But the rest of the book was empty, as if the poem was so important that it needed a whole book to rest in.

I picked up another notebook and flipped through it. These pages were full and dated, and I realized they were journal entries. I flipped to the newest pages, and one of the journal entries, dated when we had just arrived in Kakariko Village, read :

About an hour ago, we arrived in Kakariko Village. We're staying at an inn. I haven't gotten a chance to try and talk to Mipha yet, but I will.

I smiled, and flipped to the next page.

It's been three days now, and Mipha still hasn't thanked me for saving her from the castle. I wonder if she even remembers who saved her. Should I tell her? No, that would seem too arrogant.

I turned the page.

I just saw Link and Mipha sneak out of the village with Zelda's horse. I've got a great idea.

I flipped the page, confused.

It worked. I let Zelda's horse go into the wild, and I told King Rhoam that Link had killed it. I made sure to say that Mipha didn't do anything wrong, though. She doesn't deserve to get in trouble.

My eyes widening in shock, I flipped the page once more.

King Rhoam has banned Link from coming anywhere near him, the princess, or the champions. My plan worked. Now I can try talking to Mipha again...

I dropped the journal onto the table, frozen in shock. Is it true? Is it really true?

The door opened behind me, and I spun around. Revali stood in the doorway, carrying a basket of swift carrots. "I got some lunch," He announced, setting the basket on the ground.

"Revali," I said quietly.

"Yes?" He looked at me, confused.

"Did you lie to me?"
Nervousness filled Revali's expression. "Lie? About what?"

"About Link." Anger burned inside me. "You lied to me! You lied to the King! Do you realize how serious this is, Revali?"

"I..." Dread and Defeat clouded Revali's gaze. "I'm sorry..."

"I can't believe this!" Tears flooded my eyes, and I pushed past the Rito and out of the room. I raced down the hallway and out the front door, into the thunderstorm outside. I sat down on the steps, and sobbed into my hands.

Suddenly, I remembered. Link...

He thinks I hate him.