Chapter Four

I laid down in my bed, exhausted. After the meeting with King Rhoam, Zelda had given me a tour of the castle. Link had tagged along, and Zelda went out of her way to be standing between me and him at all times. I would've enjoyed seeing the beauty of the castle, but the sadness of Link's possible interest in Zelda made me miserable.

Now I lay trying desperately to fall asleep. Nothing happened. I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. Dread clouded my thoughts, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't push it away.

It made sense. The Royal Princess and her appointed knight, in a perfect love story. They would get married and live happily ever after.

But, I was a Zora. A Zora and a Hylian - crazy. A Zora and the Hylian Champion, Hero, and Princess's appointed guard - impossible. It was common sense - an unwritten rule. The mockery and denial that would occur if we were together was unthinkable, and both Link's and my reputation would be destroyed. Besides, there was no way he would ever love me.

I closed my eyes, willing myself to sleep again, but no luck. I sighed and got out of bed. I decided to do some exploring.

I walked up to the door and quietly turned the handle, creeping out into the hallway. Torches dotted the walls, lighting the way. I followed the hallway and soon came out into the dining hall. I walked slowly through the opposite doorway and came into the ceremonial hall. I looked around. There were stained glass windows, dark and blank in the night. I walked up the stairs on my right, and came to a large pair of doors.

I pushed them open, and the cool wind flooded over me. I shivered and stepped out onto the balcony, surveying the area. It was a beautiful view of Death Mountain. The orange lava flowed slowly down the stony black structure, and I could almost feel the heat radiating from it.

I looked up at the stars. They glowed bright in the dark indigo sky, the moon shining among them. It was strange to think that they were the same stars I had watched from Zora Domain.

Suddenly, I heard the door swing open behind me. I spun around, shocked.

Link stood in the doorway. He looked around, and saw me. He sighed in relief and walked up to me.

"I'm sorry." I told Link. "Were you looking for me? I was just coming out here for some fresh air. I couldn't sleep."

Link nodded, closing the door behind him. He walked up and leaned against the railing next to me. He seemed out of breath, as if he was running all over the castle to find me. He looked up at the stars. I looked at his bright blue eyes. They were dotted with glowing spots, and blurry. I realized he was crying.

"Link, are you okay?"

"I... I couldn't find you." Link said quietly. "I had this terrible dream, that you were taken away. I was scared that... that you were gone."

I gasped, shock flooding my body. Link hadn't talked to anyone. Ever. Not even the princess.

"Link..." I took his hand, and he looked at me. "I would never leave you."

It was morning, and I had just woken up. I was in my room, standing in the mirror.

Link and I had stood out on the balcony for a few more hours, sitting in silence. It was the best three hours of my life. A new fire of joy was lit in me, and I felt better than I ever had before.

I walked out of my room, smiling. Today was the day when I would be introduced to two of the other champions: Urbosa of the Gerudo and Daruk of the Gorons. I was excited. I had met a few Gerudo women before, but I had never seen a Goron. Meeting new people had made me nervous before, but after yesterday I felt ready to take on anything.

I walked down the castle hallways and to the King's study. I opened the door and saw him there, writing at his desk.

"Princess Mipha," The King stood up. "I was just going to look for you. The meeting with the other champions will be held at 4:00 in the Ceremonial Hall, and will be followed by dinner in the dining hall. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes, of course," I nodded. "I look forward to it."

"That is good." King Rhoam replied. "I will see you then."

"Goodbye," I said, half-walking, half-skipping out of the room. Everything seemed to be shining, glowing with a bright hue of happiness.

I walked through the halls, admiring the stained glass windows and artwork. I imagined Link again, crying. For me.

He cares about me.

My heart beamed with joy, and I couldn't help but smile like a fool. Everything was perfect.

Then, Zelda appeared.

She turned around the corner, glaring at me.

"What are you skipping around for?" She asked coolly. A part of me wanted to tell her about the whole thing. It would be nice to have a fellow girl to confide in. But I quickly stopped myself, not wanting to cause conflict.

"Just excited for today's meeting." I lied, bowing my head to the princess. "How are you?"

"Fine," She turned away and continued walking down the hall without another word.

I kept walking the other way, thanking Hylia that I was able to come up with a lie in time.

For the next few hours, I roamed the castle casually, hoping I would run into Link.