Chapter 14 - Good Morning

The morning sunlight seeped into the room that contained exquisite furniture that, if held at an auction, would fetch a high price. Red voile curtains filtered the sunlight, giving it a warm color that matched the brown and warm color palette of the room. The boy who was cozily tucked into the thick covers gently letting his breaths in and out in a relaxed manner as he slowly opened his eyes welcoming the bright light into his view. He only laid there for a few moments with nothing particular on his mind, just staring towards the window and enjoying the rare moment of peace. He knew eventually he would have to leave the comforting room but it wouldn't hurt to welcome a few more minutes of time waste in his lavish bed.

After relaxing for a few more minutes he convinced himself to get out of bed but not without a slow pace similar to that of a sloth. His feet met the old wooden floor, which the floor replied with a squeak that Bruce was regularly given in the mornings. He sleepily looked around, still somewhat out of it as he planned out his next few moments of getting out of bed. He stood up, grabbed a robe and carefully placed it on then headed towards the bedroom's bathroom to get ready for the day.

After fully waking up and dressed he decided to go check the guest bedroom to see if Jeremiah was already awake. Taking a few turns on the second floor of the manor, he eventually ended up at the door of the guest bedroom. He knocked a few times and each time no answer, deciding that he should go in, he opened the door to be met with a spotless guest bedroom. It was as if no one was here in the first place, which might have been the case.

Bruce closed the door then looked towards each of the sides of the hallway, deciding where he should check for Jeremiah next. He decided on checking the kitchen then walked downstairs but before he could walk through the living room and into the kitchen he spotted a familiar figure on the couch in front of the fireplace.

There lay Jeremiah, sleeping on the couch, in a position that didn't seem very comfortable. His head rest on the back of the couch while his legs were laid out in front of him on the floor. His left arm elbow rested on the couch's arm with his hand, unusually ungloved, resting around the bottom of his chin to support his head's weight. The other arm held a book in his lap, it's cover was leather with golden print that delicately completing the book's cover.

Bruce stared for a minute, admiring how peaceful Jeremiah looked resting on the couch. He couldn't help a small smile forming on his lips but, quickly wiped the smile off his face and shook his head. He walked towards Jeremiah and attempted to gently remove the book from Jeremiah's hand. However, before he could he looked up at Jeremiah for a split second and was immediately met with glossy bright green eyes.

Bruce nearly fell backwards by the sudden eye contact while Jeremiah only continued to stare. After Bruce calmed down, another type of fear began to settle in. Would Jeremiah be mad? Is he in trouble? Would he be punished? All those questions were put to rest when Jeremiah sleepily managed to yawn some words

"Good morning Bruce."

He yawned as he slowly got up.

"I must have fallen asleep last night."

Relief filled Bruce as he didn't hear any hint of anger in Jeremiah's voice. Jeremiah's gaze drifted around the room then back to him, as the sleepy expression was quickly changed to a brightly happy expression. Bruce, once again, was unsure of what to say.

"And why are you down there Bruce?"

"Oh, uh."

Bruce looked down towards Jeremiah's lap for the book he was holding before but, to his surprise it was gone.

"There was a book on your lap a second ago..."

He looked around to see if it was dropped on the floor somewhere only to find no book in sight. His eyes returned to Jeremiah, wondering what was going on.