Prologue

Bruce regained consciousness and looked at his surroundings. He saw two dirt walls and a bright blue sky, telling him that not much time had passed since he'd been knocked unconscious. He tried to get up, placing a hand on what he thought would be dirt but quickly realized that it was the feeling of dirtied clothes. It took a moment for Bruce to realize that someone was wearing those clothes. He quickly moving his hand away, about to mumble an apology but when he looked over he saw what he'd been laying on, he nearly vomited while his face went pale. He'd woken up in Jerome's grave, along with Jerome's corpse inside the grave.

Bruce sat there for a moment, coming to a realization of what had happened. When he came to his senses he quickly got up and climbed out of the grave in a panicked rush, almost slipping a few times on the way out. Once he got out, he looked around the graveyard trying to recall what had happened. After a moment of standing in the silent and eerie graveyard Bruce remembered what Jeremiah had said,

'Those generators that we built work even better as bombs.'

Those words echoed throughout his head. Bruce began to run, he didn't know where he was going or how he was going to get there but, he had to tell someone about what had happened. He kept on replaying what Jeremiah had said in his head. Bruce froze, as sudden realization hit him like a deer in headlights. 'We built' 'bombs' he couldn't move an inch from where he stood. Bruce and Jeremiah had worked together to build bombs in order to kill hundreds, maybe thousands of people. And one of those bombs had killed Jim Gordon.

"Does that mean that i'm a murderer now?"

Bruce mumbled to himself with a shaky voice. He looked down with wide eyes and crossed his arms over his chest to give himself some sort of comfort. He let out a shaky breath, he sounded like he was on the verge of a breakdown. He killed Jim Gordon, the man that had helped him through so many hard times. Even helping him find his parents killer, despite how many people decided against it. Bruce thought back to the first time he met Jim, the unforgettable night in that dark alleyway.

Bruce sat on dark steps that stood on the side of a building. He rocked back and forth looking down at his shoes avoiding the location of his dead parents. He was only given a blanket so he wouldn't be too cold, even though it didn't help much. No one dared to go near him, people gave him odd stares as they walked by. Bruce heard footsteps in the distance, slowly coming closer but he was too frightened to look up. When the footsteps stopped, a man's deep voice broke the silence

"My name's James Gordon. I'm a detective. What's your name?"

Bruce left Gordon with no reply he could only replay the same scene over and over. A man covered in black shooting his father, then his mother soon after that. He could still feel the dried blood from his parents that stained his hands.

"It's okay. You don't have to talk."

Bruce slowly looked up, comforted by the detective's words.

"Bruce. My name is Bruce Wayne."

He mumbled with his small and shaky voice while shivering. Gordon looked back at the child and crouched so he could be at eye level with Bruce, giving him even more comfort.

"Can you tell me what happened, Bruce?"

Gordon said in a much softer and comforting voice. Bruce, again being reminded of what had happened tried to hold in his tears and sobs but, to no avail. He began to cry again, looking even lower towards the ground than he had already been. Gordon stood up again and sat next to Bruce on the stairs, trying to think of something to say that would comfort him. He took a deep breath, his father was a sore spot for him but the kid clearly needed comfort more than his own feelings.

"When I was about your age, a drunk driver hit our car. Killed my dad. I was right next to him."

Gordon said while looking down at his shoes like the boy was doing before. While Gordon was speaking, Bruce looked up at him. Realizing that he wasn't alone, that he could trust Gordon.

"I know how you feel right now."

Gordon whispered so that it seemed like it was just him and Bruce there. He looked at Bruce's face, seeing that he was being comforted as he continued,

"And I promise you, however dark and scary the world might be right now... there will be light."

Gordon's eyes met Bruce's

"There will be light, Bruce."

The boy looked down again, finding his light in the dark, was now comforted by the detective known as Jim Gordon.

Bruce continued to stand in the graveyard, letting his arms slowly go to his sides and his head go up. To this day he was still comforted by Jim's words.

_________________

Words: 864