two.

Foreign Essence
chapter two.

❨ 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐚𝐧 ❩

❨ 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐚𝐧 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐁𝐄. As soon as he entered the Institute's front doors through the portal that Ragnor conjured, he could see glimpses of the city from the windows of the Institute. But then, his attention was pulled away and he was surprised to see a trio of Shadowhunters in the front entrance looking toward the front doors where he and his parabatai entered the front doors of the Institute.

The three Shadowhunters were on edge, ready for defensive measures, but then the tall one with dark hair and a Deflect rune on his neck stood up straighter and nudged his friends to do the same.

He approached Leon and Kai with his hand outstretched. "Leon Cleartree, it's a pleasure to have you here. I'm Alec Lightwood."

Leon could recognize the young man's features as a Lightwood right away and he nodded, reaching his hand out to shake Alec's hand. "Thank you, Alec. I understand you're head of the Institute while your parents are in Idris."

"I am," Alec confirmed as the two broke their handshake.

"This is Kai Stormrose," Leon introduced. "He's my parabatai so he's been sent to accompany me while I'm here."

The two of them shook hands and then Alec's two companions joined his side.

"Jace, Isabelle, this is Leon Cleartree," Alec introduced them. "The Clave sent him to be a liaison and mediator for them with the Downworlders. And Kai Stormrose, his parabatai."

Isabelle Lightwood's face lit up when she heard Leon's name. "Oh my gosh," she gushed, quickly taking his hand to shake it. "I have heard so much about you, how you know everything there is to know about the Downworlders. I can't believe you're actually here. It's so good to meet you."

Leon chuckled along with Alec, Jace and Kai. He admired the girl — not just for her name, but for her enthusiasm and how the thing she associated him to was his knowledge, not his family name or how his parents had died.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, as well, Isabelle," he chuckled as he shook her hand. "But I hear you know quite a bit about the Downworlders as well." He smiled genuinely at her. "Perhaps we can compare notes."