a sacrifice like no other

a prequel.

~

"

Magnus." He gasped, his breathing ragged as he struggled against the manacles encircling his wrists, holding him in place. 

"Your dear Magnus is right where he belongs." Asmodeus taunted, a snarl spreading across his face as he levelled his gaze with Alec's, his cane digging into the ground. "Alexander." He spat, the name pouring out of his mouth like bile. 

"Asmodeus, please." Alec begged, flinching at the way the talons of the greater demon's henchmen curled around his biceps; as if the handcuffs weren't enough. 

"Please, what, exactly, shadowhunter?" Asmodeus smirked, taking a step forward. He turned towards Magnus, viewing the devastated warlock with a grin on his face before turning back to Alec.

"Please, let Magnus go." Alec pleaded, his voice shaking. "I'll do anything." He breathed, the words a ghost of a whisper against his lips. 

"Anything, you say?" Asmodeus questioned, a smirk etching across his features. "Not a very wise thing to say, I must admit."

"Alexander." Magnus choked out, his eyes squeezing shut in pain at the effort it took to rise. When he finally faced Alec, his expression crumpled, his eyes miserable beyond belief. 

"No." He said, his voice low. 

Alec ignored him.

"Anything." He said, his voice stronger now as he looked straight into the eyes of the fallen angel. 

For a moment, Asmodeus remained silent, pondering. Finally, he turned towards Alec again, his eyes flashing red. 

"Very well." He said simply, as if they were discussing something as trivial as the weather. "You can have Magnus back," He stated, with a dismissive wave of his hand at Alec's nod. "On one condition."

"I-" Alec began, but was cut off by the sound of another voice. 

"Alexander." Magnus began desperately, fear evident in his tone. He spoke fast, his words hushed, as if he was afraid to say them. "I know my father." He said, ignoring the way Asmodeus shifted towards him with an amused grin. "Nothing he says is ever really what it means. Please, Alexander, if you love me, you will not accept his demands."

"Magnus Bane, you do realize what a terrible son you are, don't you?" Asmodeus chided, faux disappointment decorating his features as he shuffled towards Magnus, a grin on his face. 

"I realize what a horrible father you are." Magnus spat, not bothering to look at the man who raised him. 

"You wound me, son." Asmodeus uttered, a pitying expression crossing his face as he leaned in Alec's direction. "As for you, shadowhunter," He said, his eyes glinting. "I have the perfect demand."

"Anything." Alec stated firmly, gritting his teeth at the pained expression Magnus sent his way. 

"Very well." He said, spreading an arm wide. "Losing Magnus would be far more devastating than you can imagine. I'd had to find another warlock to provide an energy source for Edom. Maybe even two, depending on how weak the first is. In exchange for all of that, I ask of you only one very simple thing."

"Name it." Alec growled, gritting his teeth, his gut clenching. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew that he was playing a dangerous gamble. One that could even get him killed. 

"Become immortal." Asmodeus said bluntly, smirking. "It will cost you absolutely nothing."

"I accept." Alec said immediately, before the depth of the words even began to sank in. A very small side of him, the rational one, knew that was he was doing was risky, risky enough to have the Clave come for him - and Asmodeus. But a greater part of him knew that he was do anything in his power to save Magnus. Nothing was worth the look of torment on his face. 

"Not a very wise shadowhunter, are you?" Asmodeus scoffed. "Very well."

"Alexander, no!" Magnus cried, surging forward, his bonds only tightening at the sudden movement. 

But it was too late. 

Between one moment and the next, Asmodeus's castle was filled with a flash of red light. Green flames swirled around Alec, setting every inch of his body on fire. He screamed, the pain too much to bear, and suddenly, he could sense nothing, could feel nothing, except the flames, the scorching fire that threatened to burn him alive. Somewhere in the background, he could hear Magnus's screams of agony, and his heart ached to find out what was wrong, to do away with Magnus's pain, to protect the warlock, just like he'd vowed to do the minute he'd first met him. 

He couldn't move. 

He clenched his fists closed, his knuckles turning white - not that he noticed - until he could sense absolutely nothing. Magnus's screams faded away, and for a moment, all that was visible was Asmodeus's delighted beam through the flickering flames. 

And then everything went black. 

The last thing he heard was Magnus calling his name. 

×××

[a/n:]

hi, everyone.

i'm (shockingly) back.

i don't think this one is very good? it certainly doesn't feel like it is. so here's my apologizing for the roughly eight hundred words of crap you just read.

sorry :/

thank you for reading!

also, i just wanted to say that i'm so incredibly grateful for all the comments and votes and reads this story has gotten,  even while i was gone. thank you, so much. it means the world.

all the love,
dana.

p.s. i'm about to go burn the freeform hq down, anyone wanna join?