EIGHT.

eight; from nothing to something.

    Maeve had finally felt complete after lunch

    Maeve had finally felt complete after lunch. She decided to head to Vanya's since the two had parted ways. Klaus was most likely about to get high, while Maeve wanted to enjoy Vanya's presence since the two had clicked. She's never had a close friend and neither has Vanya. The company felt great. She reached the second floor and headed to her room, smiling to herself over the lunch date.

    "Well... thanks. Guess I'll see you next week." Maeve heard an unfamiliar voice through the door, thinking it was a student. The brunette wanted to walk right down the steps and head back home since she hasn't been there for a couple days and she want to interrupt anything. Nevertheless, she knocked on the door since she wanted to see her friend. Vanya was quick to open the door, revealing a man behind her. "Maeve, hi." She smiled awkwardly at the two, feeling a bit anxious and like she had ruined a moment. "I'm sorry for just coming without notifying you or..." "No, come in. Practice just ended." Maeve had walked in through the door, getting an unwanted stare from the man. "Oh, Maeve. This is Leonard. One of my new students."

    Maeve was quick to shake his hand while he was hesitant. He looked at her like he was trying to solve a puzzle, like he was trying to identify the girl. "It's uh, nice to meet you, Leonard." And with that, he just smiled. They let go and awkwardly stepped back, causing for the air to become thin between the three. Leonard turned to Vanya, "Uh, I'm a woodworker. I have a shop in, uh, Bricktown. You should come by some time. You know, check it out." Vanya stood there, thinking of an excuse and not trying to be hurtful. "This week... I'm busy..." "It's fine. I understand. Another time. See you next week." He opened the door and left. The air seemed to be good enough to breathe for Maeve since she was holding it in. She didn't understand or know why she did. Vanya then crossed her arms and laid her shoulder on the wall, a small smile appeared. "Well, he was nice. It seems that way to you, too. Are those red cheeks?" Vanya then stopped her smile and looked at Maeve, trying to shield her face. "What's that suppose to mean?" She said while chuckling. Maeve then innocently walked to couch to sit down, "Oh, you know. Blushing around guys indicates you like them. But I don't know anything." Shrugging her shoulders, she had a playful look upon her face.

    "I was not blushing." She said while heading over to her chair, knowing that she did. "He's just a student." Maeve looked at her with unbelievable eyes. "Give it a few days and you'll be saying something different." Vanya had crept another smirk on her face, and tried to conceal it again. "See!" Vanya had never felt giddy over someone her whole life. The feeling felt comfortable on Vanya. "Anyways, why are you dressed so nice? I was going to ask back at the house, but I was trying to leave." Maeve had looked down at her outfit, completely forgetting that she was wearing Allison's clothes. "I went on a date." She lied. It was a coverup and half the truth. She knew that whatever happened today, had to be confidential since Five was not willing to tell anyone, or worry Vanya.

    Vanya then looked at her this time with unbelievable eyes. "Oh, yeah? With who?" "Klaus." She instinctively blurted out. She could almost hit her head against the wall. "Not that Klaus, but a dude I met on tinder who liked cats way too much and..." Maeve was trying to ramble her way out of her mistake. "Maeve, you don't have to lie to me." Oh, shit. She knows. She knows, Maeve thought. "With?" "If you like Klaus, then you should go for it. Just try to help with his addiction and whatever problems he's facing." Maeve then took a sigh of relief. It was better to let Vanya think that she liked her brother than to know about the whole Five ordeal. "It's been two days. Nothing is going to happen." "Yeah, right." "You know what? I can't wait for you and Mr. Woodworker to be a thing." Vanya had started to laugh and then Maeve joined in. The bond had became thicker and thicker as time flew by. Turning what once was nothing into something.

    The day ended with Vanya playing her violin and Maeve watching. The two had started to laugh when Maeve would impersonate Leonard, or talk about their conversation from before. The night had came too fast, causing for the two to go to sleep.

    Maeve viscously woke up in cold sweat. She had a terrible nightmare about the apocalypse. How she saw herself and the Hargreeves dead. Her head began to ache as she looked down at her glowing hands, thinking that her powers were long gone. She got up and made coffee. Vanya had laid clothes out for her from last night. After a brief bath, she put the clothes on finally feeling comfortable. Vanya had already headed out before Maeve woke up. Maeve drunk her steaming cup of coffee that wasn't black. She soon left the apartment, preparing to head to her house. She soon stopped in her tracks and decided to go to the Hargreeves instead. She had dreamt of what Five had said. The apocalypse that had ruptured, causing the world to be in engulfed in flames. Thinking about it, she might find Five there to talk about it.

    After a taxi ride, she had made it to the mansion. No one answered so she took as no one was there. She soon headed around to see a van and heard rummaging in a dumpster. Garbage bags were being thrown out and she looked up to see Five leaving through a window, holding a bag. "Dammit. Where's Dad's stuff?" It sounded like Klaus. She walked into the alleyway, pinching her nose to avoid the reeking smell. "Shut up!" She had gotten closer to see Klaus standing in the dumpster with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. "I'm trying to find whatever priceless crap was in that priceless box so that Pogo will get off my ass!" Maeve stopped walking and was going to say something, only to see that he was talking to himself. "I'd ask what you're up to, Klaus, but then it occurred to me... I don't care." Maeve looked up to see Five climbing down a ladder.

"Hey! Maeve." Klaus has noticed the brunette standing there watching. "Hi. Five, I need to tell you something." Five looked at Maeve and had finally reached the bottom. "Meet me at the van." With that, she headed off. "Hey, do you need any more company today? I could uh... clear my schedule." Klaus said looking at Maeve's direction, taking a swig out of his flask. "Looks like you've got your hands full." "Oh, this? No, no. I can do this whenever. I'm just..." Klaus had tried to back up, but ultimately failed by falling through. "I just misplaced something. That's all. Oh! Found it! Thank God!" He then showed a half eaten bagel. He examined it then hesitantly bit out of it. He was trying to hold back from spitting it out, but to prove an odd point, he gulped down the bite. "Delicious." "I'm done funding your drug habit." Five then headed to the van. "Come on. You don't... maybe I wanna hang out with my brother. Not you. ¡Mi hermano! I love you! Even if you can't love yourself!"

    Five entered the van and through the bag behind him. "What did you need to talk about?" A part of Maeve hoped that Klaus would come, but she quickly dismissed the thought. Her head started to ache again once she thought about it. "Last night I had a dream about the apocalypse. The thing is, I saw myself. I was dead. Everyone else was. It literally happened overnight. I haven't told anyone this, but I have been feeling pretty strange these past couple of days. And it's not just because of the powers thing. It's like something is clawing at me from the inside." Five turned to look at her. She was starting to turn pale. Her hands began to glow a bright blue. Five began to think about it. "Maeve, I don't think borrowing powers is the only thing you have."

|

author's note:
wuddup. it's me, ya girl. this one was icky but it's slowly getting there ma boiiisss. anyways 200 reads. mind? blown. hotel? trivago. thank you so so muchhhh. ahhhh!! 🗿🖤