Coeus

Andy's POV
The night was a restless one. I found it impossibly difficult to find any source or fragment of sleep. The slightest noise, the faintest sigh, the briefest shuffle upon the ground sent my pulse reeling.
"Relax," a soft voice spoke up, drawing my attention to where Marianna was now awake beside one of the Pegasi.
"Just nerves," I promised, but even still I found myself studying the darkness wearily.
"You won't do well on this quest if you don't rest," Marianna frowned, propping herself up onto an elbow. "Besides, Thia's already awoke twice. We don't need two half dead people to drag along."
"Right. Sorry." Nodding, I settled back into the dirt, but sleep was an after thought. There was too much that could happen if I closed my eyes. All it would take was one of us not to notice a threat and we'd all perish. So, despite Marianna's gentle warnings I found myself awake until the sun began to rise and the others began to stir.
"Off to the mountains," Luke groaned, stretching his arms above his head. "God I hate hiking."
"Learn to love it," I teased, "we'll have a lot of it to do."
"Up and at it kiddo," Thalia nudged Thia carefully with her foot. The poor girl sat bolt upright in an instant no different than I had on numerous occasions. "Easy. It's just me."
"Right. I knew that," Thia insisted, rubbing her eyes tiredly. With a sigh she carefully shook Leah awake as I did the same with Marianna who'd fallen back asleep and Jamie.
"The quicker we get going the better. We don't know how close He is to Persephone," Luke reminded, already collecting some of our sparse camping items.
"I have to potty," Jamie remarked, standing with crossed legs.
"Then go real quick. Right behind the tree," Luke gestured.
"No," Jamie shook his head.
"You don't want to go alone?" I asked. The little boy nodded bashful. "Alright, I'll take you. Come on."
Taking hold of Jamie's hand, I lead him a little ways into the tree line and waited patiently for him to finish his business. "Done."
"Great." Turning about, I watched a bit amused as he struggled to jerk up his zipper before finally getting it into place. "Let's go. They're probably waiting."
With nothing left to say, Jamie walked briskly back the way we'd come. Following closely behind I lifted him up onto the Pegasi Thia was perched on. He immediately nestled back against her.
"We shouldn't need bathroom stops now," Thia decided.
"Unless Andy has to go," Leah quipped from her own steed.
"Very funny," I snorted, swinging up onto the back of the Pegasus I shared with Marianna. "I'm a grown man. I can manage."
"Just don't pee into the wind," Leah snickered.
"I'm not going to take a piss while I'm on a Pegasus!"
"Oh gods," Thia groaned, hiding her face in her hands as Luke chuckled. "Why do I have friends?"
— — —
The more time that passed the colder the temperature became as we made our way to our destination tucked snugly in South America. Once closer to the mountain range we took to the  rocky, uneven, and tough surface. The sound of Pegasi hooves scraping against stone was the only thing that shattered the silence.
Once we crested the first large slope of the mountain range, it became clear that the ground was too icy for our horse friends. Should they press on they were likely to slip and slide injuring us and themselves.
"Time to walk," Reyna noted, already clambering off of her Pegasi. With a collective sigh and group effort, each of us abandoned our ride for the cold and icy ground.
Our progress became slower as we struggled to adapt to the altitude change, the surface shift, and the steepness of the terrain. Slowly but surely we pressed on towards the top but along the way we lost members of the group. Having strung out I called up ahead for Leah do wait.
Glancing over my shoulder I was relatively surprised to see that the well worn war heroes were struggling the most. Luke walked as if every inch of movement pained him, and I guessed that it did. Thalia was barely managing to shuffle forward with the help of Reyna.
Treading carefully back down the mountain I paused in front of them. "What is it?"
"I'm good," Luke insisted.
"No, you're not," I frowned. "You've already pressed hard enough. You'll hurt yourself. Your back hasn't healed all the way and this isn't making it better. You're pushing your limits."
"We have to make it up there somehow," Luke panted, setting his hands on his knees.
"Don't think that's happening," Thalia countered, looking rather angry. "My leg locked up and my arm's barely going as it is. I thought dressing warmer would help but...cold isn't a go for me. This is as far as I can get."
"Then you two stay," I decided, turning to study Reyna. "Can you go?"
"I can," she nodded.
"No," Thalia frowned, shaking her head, "altitude and thin air, your heart will work too hard."
"That was one time."
"One time too much."
"Fine."
"Okay," I nodded, running a hand through my hair. "You three stay here or find a way back down to the Pegasi. We can manage."
"Be careful. It's a titan lord that's your enemy. It's not a silly adventure," Luke warned. "Leave Jamie with us too. He doesn't need to go up there. If things go south just come back. It's not worth the risk. We need to fight another day."
"Alright," I nodded, beckoning Jamie down from his perch on an icy rock. Marianna gestured to me and the little boy came scampering down the mountainside. "You're going to stay with them okay? They need you. They'll want the company okay?"
"Okay," Jamie nodded, studying the three adults.
"You're in charge," Luke breathed, fixing serious blue eyes on me. "Lead them. This is your shot okay? Pull your weight."
"I will," I promised. Giving them one last look I turned curtly on my heel and tromped back up to the others.
"Are they okay?" Thia worried.
"They're staying behind. Their bodies won't handle the altitude and weather. It's up to us. Follow me." Taking the lead, I tightened the straps on my back pack. Silence settled in our group as we tramped up the steep terrain. On occasion I had to remind Thia not to keep looking back. That we had little time to finish this climb if we weren't already too late.
I couldn't blame her much because even I had been surprised by the unexpected turn. She'd spent her whole life idealizing her parents as practically perfect and this had to be a slap in the face that they weren't. Even the toughest people just...weren't.
"Hold up." Catching Leah by the back of the shirt I pulled her back away from the path.
"What is it?" She frowned, scanning the terrain anxiously.
"Following the path is predictable," I noted, nodding towards the straight shot upwards. "We go around."
"Is it safe?" Marianna worried.
"Here." Taking off my bag I dug through the contents before producing the ropes we'd used to tether the Pegasi. "Tie these around your waists. We'll link up. Climbers do it to limit falls. If one of us trips we'll be able to hold them up."
"Are you your mother is Venus and not Minerva?" Leah asked, taking one of the ropes.
"Positive," I laughed, setting to work on my own little harness. Once we'd all managed to come up with crude belts I worked on linking us together. "This should leave enough slack for us to move."
"Right," Thia nodded, sizing up the steep climb. "Shall we?"
Taking the lead once more I pressed the pace slowly. The air was impassively thin and we didn't have the luxury of oxygen should we over work ourselves and need it.
Grunting, I jumped catching my arms on the edge of a steep icy rise. Swinging a leg up and over I rolled onto the surface. Catching my breath for a brief moment I watched as Thia, the second tallest, completed the feat with ease. Together the two of us helped hoist up Leah and Marianna who were just barely too short to get a good catch on the top of the ledge.
"Everyone good?" I asked.
"Yep," Marianna nodded, giving a thumbs up in emphasis.
Swallowing tightly, we moved on, clambering over large obstacles or snaking under little slits, and even squeezing through tight slats. At last, a section of the mountains opened up to reveal one of the peaks.
Clusters of boulders were capped with white snow, icicles clung to the undersides of ledges, frozen sheets of ice crawled up smooth rock faces creating natural mirrors, and it was ironically beautiful in a deadly sort of way. Nothing lived here. Not in this temperature.
"This it?" Leah asked.
For once, I didn't have the answer and each of us in turn looked to Thia. She was silent for a moment seemingly staring off into space before she gave a curt nod.
"Where to?" I asked.
"This is it," she assured, shirking off the rope system.
"How? There's nothing here?" Marianna arched a brow looking confusedly at  her friend.
"Follow me," Thia waved, already setting off towards the far side of the mountain peak. With a shrug, I discarded my own harness and followed. The others did too and soon we were tromping after Thia who stopped on occasion to scan the rock faces.
Then, she disappeared. At first I thought she was joking, but when each of us had called out numerous times we grew worried. There was no way she could have vanished with such ease.
"Here!" The noise nearly caused me to slide down a slope from jumping so high. Staring wide eyed down at the base of a large smooth rock face I saw Thia peering back.
"You worried us," I frowned.
"Sorry, but I had to make sure it was safe. She's here, you can come on in," Thia insisted, waving us down.
"This is some Alice in Wonderland shit," I sighed, sitting on my butt and sliding down through the space. It spit me out in a tumbling mess on to solid rock that was surprisingly...warm
"Woah," Leah gasped, looking wide eyed at the cavern around us. Shuffling to my feet, I too became captivated by the small gem of wilderness tucked out of sight.
A glittering pool of water rested in the center of the cavern. Small beams of natural light refracted off of large blocks of ice helping seal in the natural wonder. Tiny sprouts of grass poked hesitantly through cracks of stone to greet the light and a few tentative flowers stood guard.
"Heroes," came the warm voice. It was sultry in a way, calming, and gentle. Like the way someone talks of something pleasant. Earnest and eager but tame.
"Persephone," Marianna grinned, bowing slightly. Following her gaze I spotted the goddess sitting cross legged with her back pressed against stone. She looked very much out of place. I'd always thought of her as being extraordinarily beautiful, and she was in a way, but she looked sick too.
Her warm eyes were tired, her skin looked dull, and her very essence of life seemed to have dissipated. "Pleasure to meet you."
"Likewise," the goddess smiled faintly.
"I'm sure you know why we're here," Leah ventured.
"Yes," Persephone nodded, "your friend informed me. Hephaestus aided you?"
"Yeah," Marianna nodded eagerly.
"Poor man," the woman sighed, and something about her expression caused my stomach to coil. "He should've known better than to send you. For someone so smart he's a fool."
"I don't understand," Thia frowned, glancing wearily in my direction.
"You should," came the rumbling whisper.
Immediately the sound of weapons scraping sheaths filled the cavern as the voice bounced across the walls. Twisting my battle axe in hand I scanned the walls in search of an enemy. A shadow passed across the light. Spinning, I found no source for the disturbance.
"It was predictable," the voice hissed, "and my dear brother was wise in sending me here. In waking me so I may roam this earth once more."
"Who are you?" I demanded, moving at the sight of another shadow.
"Coeus," was the smug answer.
"Titan of intelligence and foresight," Thia mumbled, a look of realization crossing her features. "Where's your brother? He was supposed to be here."
"He was, but he had plans," Coeus replied, finally emerging from the darkened corners of the cavern. His frame was large, covered in light weight armor, and the tatters of a cape hugged his shoulders. His eyes were fierce like they themselves were weapons, his nose sharp, and his brown hair groomed neatly despite the raggedness of his battle wear. "What did you expect to do with this?"
A large hand gestured lazily to the shivering form of Persephone who raised her head to utter a scathing curse, "bastardoues fool!"
"She is weak and failing like all the others. Their thrones have perished and so they shall too. With their weakening comes our rise. My brother waited patiently to wake us," Coeus smirked.
"Did you come to talk or fight?" Thia demanded, and I was surprised by the aura of strength she radiated. Her fragile frame seemed oddly misfitting given the fire in her eyes.
"What I don't understand little one," Coeus mused, kneeling so he drew eye level with Thia, "is why you came knowing what you were to find was not as intended. Why listen to these fools? You've been blessed but you neglect your gifts for simple minded warriors. You should have returned home as you desired. Now, you will perish."
"Unlikely," Thia countered, a beam of light solidifying into a blade.
"You can try," Coeus stood as if allowing us the honor of challenging him, "but you will fail. I know your minds more than you do."
"Every disadvantage is an advantage," Thia countered, eyeing the Titan with an intensity that made me nervous. I had never seen her both so intimidating and furious. Sure, she'd been tough, steady, and very much a warrior but something had changed over time. She was more afraid of herself than other people now.
Coeus tilted his head in mock sympathy before two long hunting knives appeared in his hands. He was a flurry of movement and light.
His left blade arched menacingly downwards nearly striking Thia when suddenly she raised her arm. A white and elegant shield intercepted the blade, deflected it, and sent the Titan aside. Driving her own blade forward, Thia made to slice at Coeus' wrist. Expecting the attack, the Titan slammed the hilt of his sword into her spine. A loud crack echoed against the walls.
All at once Marianna moved forward twirling her bladed staff, Leah hot on her heels, and myself bringing up the rear. The four of us engaged in an ongoing dance with the elegant Titan of foresight. His weapons were seemingly a part of his being and we were lucky to be standing. If it hadn't been for Thia we'd all have died. Shields erupted from the ground to deflect deadly blows, blasts of light let us slip away, and projectiles forced Coeus back.
The battle slowly shifted so Thia was pressing the attack with vigor allowing us to occasionally land a blow, but the Titan was no longer concerned with us.
"How? I cannot see into your mind!" He remarked in irritation. "Order cannot be protecting you. She has no realm to."
"Maybe I'm very good at setting boundaries," Thia replied, followed by a grunt of effort as she bashed her shoulder into the Titan's knee sending him down onto the other. Raising her blade I thought for the briefest moment she'd land a semi-killing blow but I was wrong. With a shudder the ground erupted before her and a gnarled spike of ice shot upwards.
The sound of it tearing through flesh was sickening. The end jutted from her right foot covered in violent red. Before Coeus had an opportunity to turn the tables I chucked my axe desperately. I wasn't a good marksman but I prayed briefly that Artemis or Apollo would let me hit my mark if not for myself than for their niece.
The blade slammed brutally into Coeus' chest sending him slumping backwards into a weakened wall. The cavern heaved a shaking sigh as chunks of ice tumbled from above and icicles shattered. Tearing the blade free, the Titan examined it with a sneer. "I will remember this son of Venus."
As the earth began to open up above, Coeus fled, hunched over in pain. He disappeared in a small blizzard that had begun just outside.
"We need to go," Marianna stammered, "the cavern isn't stable anymore."
"Come on!" Spotting the way we'd entered, I waved for the others to follow me. Marianna did as told and shimmied out onto the mountainside with a helpful boost from myself. Leah balanced a half walking Thia carefully. Once near I hefted both up to crest the edge. "Persephone."
"Little Hero, there is no where for me to go from here," The goddess replied with a saddened smile, "where they will not find me."
"Come on," I insisted. I couldn't imagine leaving her there. She'd be lonely, cold, and weak. The goddess of spring had no right to rest in a tomb of ice. "We'll find a place for you."
Though hesitant, she managed to find the strength to make her way over to me. As I'd done with the others I hoisted her up onto the ledge leading outside. All around the ceiling was beginning to cave, and though I tried to find purchase against the wall there was no friction to be had.
Just as I began to slip again, a hand clutched my arm and jerked me up to safety. Thia rolled backwards with the momentum of her pull flinging snow up into the air. The white powder inevitably collapsed onto the back of my head. She gave a faint, tired laugh at my predicament, before wincing. It reminded me of the wound on her foot.
Straightening, I moved to pull off her shoe revealing a torn and bleeding hole with shards of ice embedded in the flesh. "Gods kid, you really can't catch a break can you?"
"Family curse," Thia breathed, inspecting the ugly wound for herself.
"We should move before he comes back," Marianna warned.
"Can you make it?" I asked.
"I'll be fine," Thia insisted with a curt nod, determination igniting in her eyes. "Leah? Can you-"
"Yeah," Leah nodded, already helping Thia to stand.
"Your parents will kill me."
"Please, my mother randomly lost half her body," Thia shrugged. "I'd say this has less of a shock factor."
"Let's not tempt fate, babe," Leah sighed.
"Babe?" Thia arched a brow. "That's new."
"Don't like it?" Leah asked, using a tattered strip of her shirt to wrap the wound while Thia balanced awkwardly.
"No, I find it adorable," Thia promised.
"Okay, babes lets go," I joked, trying to lighten the mood after our close call with death.
"Yeah babes," Marianna joked, planting her elbow in my side. We all laughed even Persephone and the daunting trek didn't seem so bad after all.