Do You Believe?

Thalia's POV
(Little bit of a touchy subject ahead so read with caution)
"We can't risk it," Hazel worried.
"We need to see what's going on. We're sitting ducks down here Haze. Any moment we can be snuffed out, and waiting is only killing me. I have to know what's going on," I insisted, trying not to succumb to her worried eyes.
"Then a task force is needed. No one goes anywhere alone," Emily determined, her jaw set the way Frank's always did. "I don't care who goes, but I agree. I'm tired of not knowing. Any source of info is better than none at all."
"Thanks kid." Soaring Emily a smile, I jogged off down one of the side passages. "Rey!"
"What?" Reyna asked, blowing a strand of hair out of her face as she studied a map of the tunnel system.
"You have a bit of time to spare?" I asked.
"It better be good because I'm trying to plan defenses," she replied anxiously. It wasn't hard to tell that being couped up was driving her nuts as well.
"Recon. You down?" No sooner had the words left my mouth than the map snapped shut and she was perched on the balls of her feet in anticipation. "I take that as a yes. Get a few others, yeah?"
"It's about time I got some damn fresh air," she breathed, walking briskly to a set of armored legionnaires. "You cleared this right?"
"Emily actually convinced her mother we ought to go through with it," I replied, watching Reyna arch a brow at the info. Emily usually didn't take up a bossy or authoritative tone-let alone with her parents.
"Armor up, we have a group willing to go," Reyna winked, seeming awfully excited to go outside.
"On it," I nodded, "uhm....where exactly is my armor?"
"You'd forget your head if it wasn't on your body," Reyna snorted, waving for me to follow her.
— — —
"It's...frightening," One of the young soldiers remarked. He wasn't wrong. Seeing New Rome so barren and empty was unsettling.
"Just follow me. I don't want to be out longer than we have to," Reyna decided, but I noticed the small shiver race down her spine. She was equally frightened.
Weapons drawn and at the ready we moved slowly through the city picking out supplies to collect on the way back. However, there was little to find, and even the smallest sound sent our pulses reeling.
"This is not going as planned," I huffed, having to toss aside another damaged can of food.
"Well, some is better than no-" Reyna paused mid sentence and cocked her head to the side as if listening for something. At first I was confused, but upon the second howl I understood what was happening.
"Wolves?" One of the legionnaires shifted nervously.
"No, that's no wolf," I smiled, watching three gleaming hides race towards our group. "That would be the sneaky little shits I call family."
Argentum was the first to reach us and launched into my arms with howls of affection. Aurum and Aes knocked Reyna flat on her back shaking all over with happiness.
"Hi," she laughed, scratching happily at their ears, "oh I was worried about you guys. Where did you go off to?"
"Yeah you little shit," I laughed, dodging a silver tongue.
Aes barked in reply, clambering off of Reyna, and standing to point at the horizon with a bronze nose and tail. "Is something over there?"
Reyna's question was met with another affirmative bark. At the noise, Argentum leapt from my hold as Aurum took the spot beside Aes. "Whatever it is, it's important."
"We following the dogs?" A girl asked.
"Yeah," Reyna nodded. "Alright, lead on guys-we have your backs."
With permission, the three metal hounds set off at a brisk jog back the way they'd come. The sun beat off of their backs making it extremely difficult to lose sight of them.
"It doesn't seem like a threat," I noted, receiving an agreeable nod from Reyna. "Maybe it's friends."
"I hope so. Otherwise, I'm never trusting them again," Reyna sighed, fighting off a laugh at my fake look of horror.
With each step our little group drew nearer and nearer to the intended destination. Having left camp behind some time ago, it was strange seeing the world in perfect working order. It didn't seem right for a city to be dead while everything else in the mortal world was perfectly pristine.
An encouraging bark sounded up ahead and slightly to the left. "I think we're getting closer."
"I hope so," the boy sighed, "this armor is hot under the sun."
"I'll make sure I tell Apollo to calm his flaming ass for you," I smiled with little care to hide my sarcasm. "You know, because he has so much time now that the world is ending."
"Sorry," mumbled the boy. Rolling my eyes, I picked up the pace just to stick it to him. He had no idea what small beans this quest was compared to some of the other things I'd seen and endured.
After walking in silence for another few hours we finally drew level with the dogs. Each was exhausted but happy with themselves. At first I didn't understand why until I spotted a familiar figure.
"She's got an awfully good way of showing up when we need her," I noted, as a grin stretched across Reyna's face. "What brings you here into these here woods?"
Hylla's head snapped up at the sound of my voice and a look of pure relief flashed across her features. "Thank the Gods."
"What're you doing here?" Reyna asked, running and tackling her sister in a hug.
"Running for my life. You?" Hylla laughed.
"Trying to figure out what the hell is going on," Reyna explained, pulling back and glancing about the small camp.
"We went on recon for supplies but the dogs brought us here," I explained, giving Hylla a quick hug of my own.
"I wish I said we had a lot to offer," Hylla frowned, "but I'm afraid not. We-uh, we have heavy losses."
"What?" Reyna's eyes softened immediately and she finally understood why the camp was so small. "How many?"
"Twelve," Hylla's voice wavered, "one for each Olympian."
"My Gods," Reyna gasped, "why-"
"We were told not to get in the way. It was a warning," Hylla explained, her voice hard in an attempt to mask its weakness. "If I obey the warning then no one else will die. At least, that's what I was promised."
"Any news from others?" I asked, already thinking about my brother and the rest of my family in potential danger.
"A satyr ran into us. He helped us with the burials. He said the Hunters took an absolute beating," Hylla explained in a hushed voice, "my girls don't know about it and don't need to know about it lest we completely fall apart."
Reyna glanced in my direction with eyes of worry that mirrored the intense wave of anguish that sent my stomach into knots. "Any details?"
"Well, your praetor popped by," Hylla noted.
"Leah, we knew that," Reyna nodded.
"As for your sister," Hylla turned directly to me now, "she's in an extremely fragile state. I'd be surprised if she's even with the Hunters any more. Probably sent them off under Zoë's guidance. Otherwise, they'd be sitting ducks with her."
Hylla's information only made me sick. Artemis was one of the toughest people I knew, and if she was hurt so badly I could only imagine just how powerful Kronos was. Then, my thoughts shifted to the pain she must be experiencing and my knees went weak. "Where is she?"
"I don't know. She refused to give details on anything even when the Satyr offered to help. She said information was dangerous now. It was best to know nothing at all," Hylla mumbled, swallowing tightly. "But it's a solace to know you're both alive. If I found out either of you had-"
"Don't say it," Reyna warned. "With our luck it might happen."
"Thanks for the happy thoughts babe," I sighed, still feeling rather nauseous.
"Well, I guess if you're here you ought to stay. At least for the night. Evening is near and I worry about sending you back," Hylla explained.
"Hylla," Reyna settled a gentle hand on her sister's shoulder, "if you can't spare the resources it's okay."
"It's not much, but I have twelve less mouths to feed," Hylla spoke coldly. "I'll be damned if I let you walk back with nothing to show for your efforts."
— — —
"What'll you do now?" Reyna asked, sitting beside her sister at the fire.
"Lay low," Hylla shrugged, staring intently at the flames. "It sounds shitty, but I don't think I can help this time Rey. I have to look after the girls and myself. If I go, none of them aside from Kinzie would be able to lead. Even then, I don't think she'd want to."
"I understand," Reyna rested her elbows on her knees, "you've done a lot over the years."
"So have you," Hylla snorted, "and what has it done for us?"
"A lot of good," I decided.
"Good? Thalia, I don't know what you're smoking but that's the farthest word from my mind right now," Hylla huffed.
"Think about it," I insisted, "how else would we be here now? I wouldn't have met, fell in love with, and married Reyna. You and I wouldn't be friends at all. I wouldn't have my friends back from the dead and neither would you. And yeah, it sucks, but even if Thia's dead we still had her right? We still had a lot during the chaos. If we didn't, I can tell you right now I wouldn't be alive. I'd have given up ages ago and called it quits. I used to want to as a kid, and I'm glad I didn't. Look where I am now."
"You're right," Hylla shook her head, "but there's only so much I'm willing to take. Once I lose what's important to me, if I lose what's important to me, I'm done. I'm telling you that now. It's not a world without the people I love in it, and I won't even consider being a part of it. Say what you want about that decision it won't matter to me."
The fire seemed to die with the conversation and Hylla gave it one final poke with the tip of her spear before standing and heading to the tents.
"She doesn't mean that does she?" I asked.
"No, Thals, she means it," Reyna sighed, sparing me a saddened glance.
"You wouldn't-you wouldn't consider the same would you?"
"I don't know. I'lol admit I've thought about it," Reyna shrugged, "but I've fought hard to keep you with me. It would be a waste to let you go without me. So maybe I would, but like I said, I don't know."
Her response did little to ease my nerves. At the same time, however, I couldn't fault her for feeling that way. "Okay."
"I'm going to bed." Reyna decided after a moment of weary silence. "This is making me depressed."
"I'll be there soon," I promised. She stood up slowly and after a brief stretch leaned over to press a kiss on the top of my head. With a soft hum she headed off to the tents as well.
Closing my eyes, I listened to the birds nestling down if they hadn't already and the faint breeze wafting through the leaves. It reminded me of days spent in the wilderness without a care in the world.
"Tough lot those Arellanos are," Kinzie noted, nudging my shoulder.
"Tough but loveably stubborn." Groaning, I ran a hand through my hair.
"Get to bed," Kinzie smiled faintly, "I'll make sure we don't burn the park down. I already rested up."
"Yeah, yeah," I yawned, standing up and leaving the fire behind. "Night Kinzie."
"Night Grace."
— — —
It was nearly impossible to sleep no matter how tired I felt. I kept thinking about all the events that had transpired and all that I'd learned. Somewhere out there my friends and family were suffering, somewhere out there a titan lord was slaughtering innocent people, and all I could do was pray.
Then, I was reminded of the person sound asleep beside me. As much as she joked about it, as much as she pretended it was nothing, I couldn't help but feel maybe Reyna was the slightest bit depressed. It made sense to me, but she'd deny it until she died.
I recalled briefly a remark of hers that it tended to run in her family, and she was so determined not to be like them that she'd pushed the notion aside. But ever since Thia died she was ruled entirely by her emotions.
The mighty praetor used to have some control over herself when it was needed and it had vanished. There were times she was so overwhelmed by feelings the only way to let it out was by crying. While Reyna didn't know, I knew it was guilt. When Thia had arrived on our doorstep (quite literally) she'd been conflicted, wanted little to do with the fragile infant, and was adamant that it was a mistake. Of course, that lasted no more than a day, but now things had turned. Thia really was gone and all Reyna wanted was to have her back, but when Thia had arrived Reyna wanted nothing more than for her to go.
Forcing down the lump in my throat I studied her with care. Whatever the case, she was still mine and always would be. At least she was sleeping soundly tonight. Most nights neither of us did.
Sighing, I let my fingertips fall on the caramel colored skin of her arm to ghost a gentle path up to her shoulder. Brushing aside strands of dark hair my palm nestled against her neck letting my thumb arch across her cheek. A faint pulse pressed against my skin reassuring me that she was very real and very alive.
"Thals?" Came a sleepy mumble and the fluttering of eyelashes exposed soft brown eyes. "Why are you still awake?"
"I don't know," I whispered, but she could tell I was lying.
"You're sad," Reyna noted, her eyebrows creasing together.
"I don't want you to hurt anymore." The way my voice shattered surprised me. "I don't want you to be sad anymore or angry or scared."
"Thalia," Reyna's eyes softened like honey, "you can't feel responsible for how I feel. I'm okay, I promise."
"I don't think you are Rey." My remark gave rise to alarm in her features. "I think you're a lot less okay than you say you are."
Silence settled between us for a moment before she asked me. "What do you know that I don't? Help me understand."
So I told her. I told her all I'd thought about and though she didn't want to hear it she listened. I knew it hurt her because she'd finally succumbed to something she'd fended off for years, but I couldn't bear her having to pretend anymore.
"I love you. No matter what okay? Please don't think otherwise. Don't think you're broken okay? You remember what we said about Thia? When we found out she had anxiety?" I asked, wiping gently at stray tears.
"She was human, humans have flaws, and it's okay to have one or two or thousands because someone else has them too. That no one is broken just made with a little knot in the work," Reyna rasped.
"And knots make the board more beautiful than a flat piece of wood," I finished. "Everything we told her? Same goes for you. Understand?"
"Yeah," Reyna nodded, sniffling slightly.
"You believe I love you?"
"Of course," she laughed, no louder than a whisper but it didn't meet her eyes. She was uncertain, she was vulnerable, and it was her instincts of defense planting seeds of doubt.
Pausing for a split second I kissed her gently tasting the slight tang of salt from tears that had graced her lips. My hands were light on her cheeks and by the small shiver she gave I knew my metallic hand was colder than expected. She seemed to sense my hesitation after that and was quick to clasp my cold hand in her own.
Though I couldn't feel the touch I noticed the slight strain in her hand: a squeeze of reassurance. When our lips met again hers no longer tasted of tears but promise as she finally kissed back. Her cold exterior of uncertainty was fading by the second and I couldn't hide my sigh of relief. For some reason that sigh told her everything was okay and her arms wrapped firmly about my neck pulling me closer. I hadn't realized how cold I was until I was pressed against her.
Her heart beat steadily but there was always the worry that it would fail. Though I had little time to dwell on it because I was overwhelmed with how much I truly did love her. Just being able to hold her and breathe her familiar scent was enough for me.
And perhaps it was a bit unconstitutional to do such a thing in your sister's camp but neither of us cared. Clothes were shed with gentle touches and it was as if we fell together for the first time again.
"Do you believe me?" I asked again, hardly getting the words in edge wise.
"Always."