Part Seven: Family

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" I cocked my head to the side and looked at her.

"Do you like...Camila?" Lexa asked me, and I could tell she was trying to gauge my reaction. I wasn't sure how to answer the question though. I enjoyed Camila's company, and my heart did that weird thing whenever I saw her, whenever she smiled at me and all that jazz. But I don't know if to say if I 'liked' her per say. "I'm not trying to say anything, but I believe in the journal and what Octavia said...but I don't want you to just get with this girl because of some stupid journal. Elena broke you enough, I can't let Camila do that to you too."

I sighed and my mind had brought me back to the days when Elena and I had broken up. It wasn't bad, where I would lay in bed and cry my eyes out. I knew it was coming, but it didn't mean that it didn't effect me.

☾✹

Sometimes we take for granted the moments that could've lasted forever. We focus too much on what didn't happen, rather than what did. Sometimes we spend all our days, hoping, praying, begging for a change.

When the change is already in front of us, and we're too blind to see it. We need to focus on what it is rather than what it isn't.

Life is way too short and beautiful to be wasted on you being sad.

Trust the process.

What is yours will be yours.

What is meant to be, will always be meant to be.

☾✹

"I don't know, Lex," I sighed and shut my book. "I know her enough to know that she's this incredibly sweet and hardworking woman. I know how much family means to her and I know that when she looks at me...I can feel my heart rate speed up, and my heart beats as though it wants to burst out of my chest."

Lexa shook her head, a soft smile on her face. "I just don't want her to hurt you. You're my best friend and I can't see you moping over some girl ever again."

"She's different, Lex," I told her and I believed my words. "I can feel it. I just know that somehow, Camila is different."

"If she's not, I'll end her shit," my best friend stood and looked at her watch. "I have to meet someone in a few. I'll catch you later, yeah? Good luck on your exam. You're gonna kill it!" She wrapped me in her arms before she left.

I know Lexa was only looking out for me, and that's why I truly loved her. Since the beginning of our friendship, we had each other's backs and I knew for a fact, Lexa only meant well. She did like Camila; from the seldom interactions they had, and me talking about her endlessly.

I just hoped that this gut feeling I had about Camila wasn't wrong.

***

"I'm just saying, Eliana, she can stay here, there's a lot rooms," Maggie was talking to her sister about something. I turned around and saw that they were sitting at the bar. I didn't want to interrupt their conversation, but as usual, I was dying to talk to Camila. "It'll be better for you. You'll be able to see her whenever you want."

"I know," Camila propped her head on the bar top. "It's just my mom doesn't want to stay here and if that's her wish, I respect it." She pulled her gaze away from Maggie when she saw me approaching. "Hey, Laur," Camila smiled at me, and for another time, I saw her eyes change colour. I get so lost in them when they do. I don't think Camila notices it, and with everything that has been going on, it seemed somewhat normal now. It only did that around me from what I knew.