Chap. 45 The Truth

Start from the beginning

"Oh, baby girl don't cry," River softly said as he wrapped his arms around me in a comforting manner.

"River, you don't understand. He's dead because of me."

"Baby girl, stop saying-"

"He died because I made him turn on his safety," I said, cutting him off, the words feeling heavy on my tongue. "When I held him, I...I saw it. He couldn't switch it off in time and Katherine killed him...then I-I killed her and..." I trailed as everything came rushing back to me until it all faded to darkness after my father shot me. My father shot me.

"Where is he?" I tightly said. "I want to see him."

"Cat, I don't think that's such a-"

"River, I wasn't asking. I need him to look me in the eyes and tell me why he tried to kill me," I demanded, anger clinging on to every syllable of every word.

River sighed. "Fine, but after the nurse checks you out, okay? I need to make sure that you're okay."

I reluctantly nodded, though I was still upset.

"Where are Mason and Liam?" I asked.

"Mason is in one of these rooms too," River softly said as he swept a piece of hair from my face. "Your deranged father pistol whipped him so he had to get that taken care of. He also had some internal bleeding from the shoot out the night of the Masquerade."

"I want to see him. I need to thank him for saving my life at that party and make sure he's okay."

River chuckled and pressed another kiss to my forehead. "That's my baby girl; always worried about others." Just then, a female nurse walked in and smiled once she saw me.

"Oh good, you're awake," she politely stated before she gave River an acknowledging nod. "I'm going to give you a quick check up to make sure that you're alright before the doctor comes in to talk to you, okay?"

"Okay," I said, though I felt really tired.

She walked over to my heart rate monitor and wrote something down on her clipboard before she checked the IV that was in my arm. "Everything looks good over here," she quietly said to herself before she turned to me. "It's a formality that I give you a recap of everything that's happened to you since you've been in our care. Feel free to ask any questions at any time, okay?" I nodded. "You were brought in with a life threatening bullet wound to your abdomen. Once you were on the operating table, the doctor realized that the bullet had broken up inside of you and was very close to bursting your colon and nicking some of your other major arteries." Her words caused me to suck in a sharp breath as I looked down at my stomach which was covered by the sheets of the bed.

Noticing my panic, River gently squeezed my hand. "Don't worry, baby girl. They got it all out. You're safe," he reassured before looking at the nurse to back up his statement.

"Yep. The doctor was thankfully able to remove the fragments and stitch you back up good as new. Now, I should say that because of where the bullet entered you and the position of the stitches, we need you to be very careful of your body movement, especially when you sit up and lay down. We don't want you to rip your stitches, but if you do don't worry about it. We just need you to let us know as soon as possible, okay?" I nodded. "Any questions?" I shook my head. "Good. The pharmacist should be in soon to tell you about your medications and everything else. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to call me again. My name is Jasmine."

"Thank you," I said with a scratchy voice, causing her to give me a smile before she made a move to leave.

"Oh, wait. Before I forget, it was documented that since you'd lost a lot of blood, you had a donation from your father, David was it?" she innocently asked, having no idea about the furnace of hatred I had toward that man.