14-deny it

mr perlman

in doing what's best for my son, am i damaging him further? i'm a good person i know i am, but is stopping interaction between elio and someone he loves, in his best interest?

or is it me denying my past in order to save my sons future. i hope these aren't past feelings resurfacing to remind me about what i've denied for so long.

my wife. i love my wife, she would understand of course she would.

i made my way down stairs to be greeted by my beautiful wife sitting at the table peeling potatoes with mafalda, i give her the 'help' look as i walk into my study, taking a seat on the couch.

she joins me shortly after, wiping her hands down her front to remove the moisture that's left on them.

"what's the matter mi amor?" she asks as she takes a seat beside me. nothing, i want to tell her; 'i just love you and want to be with you'

"i'm worried about our son" i admit to her, her features soften from the worried strain they held moments before; she nodded as if to give permission for me to continue.

"i'm scared that oliver is playing with him, elio, what does he expect will happen, by not bringing his fiancé, he's giving our son false hope" i drop my chin to my palm as i sigh. annella reaches behind me and draws circles on my back. it relaxes me almost instantly, she brings out the child in me, causing a smile to break onto my face.

"darling, oliver and his fiancé have.. broken apart" she says softly.

i lift my head to look at her, "why?" i ask quickly.

"i didn't want to pester, but i assume our son played a part" she smiles with the last few words. now what would i do.

allow oliver to break elio up with a boy who may be good for him, sure i could torture my son that way and somehow turn him straight once oliver returns to america. but is that really right? no is the right answer.

"does elio know?" i lean back into the couch as she reclines her hand

"i suppose not" she responds

"should i tell him?" i want to tell him, i want to be the one to tell him that he can go on loving the man who broke him not once, but twice without reason.

"you know the answer to that" and with those words she kissed me briefly before exiting the room, i glance to my right at the notes i recently set aside. i've been reading about the most famous statues in rome, sure i know all there is to know about them, but there's nothing wrong with refreshing myself on the important facts.

it's incredible, the story of a
clay lump, or a big block of stone or glass, it gets turned from nothing, to something magnificent, spectacular. and it's all because of what is felt by the artist. my son is an artist, and who am i to direct him on his painting of life.

the next place i find myself is outside my sons bedroom door, i tap a few times before entering to find him with his eyes just opening, alone, thank goodness.

"elio, i'm sorry to wake you, could we talk for a moment?" i ask him, softly as to not disturb him.

"sure, is everything alright?" he sits up and makes room for me to sit with him.

"firstly, you are interested in men. correct?" i ask rather bluntly, i know there's no reason for me to put a label on it, and it's unfair of me to ask this way; but it would make the conversation a little easier on my half.

"i uh, dad?" he spoke rather quickly, his eyebrows drawing together in confusion. in his defence we had never had the proper chat about it.

"i think you should know that oliver and his fiancé are no longer together." i say before he came up with anything else to add.

"oh, is he okay?" his expression falters as he decides how to react to the new information.

"i think you should talk to him about that, i'm more concerned about your current affair with elijah" i started, its important that this gets discussed in addition.

"nothings going to change, oliver will live his life and i'll live mine along side whoever i choose. which will not be oliver, no change." he said, with a little hesitation

"elio, who you decide to love is none of my concern. but i'm here if you need help or advice and so is your mother, we can help where we are able" i added simply, a small smile drawn out on my lips.

"thanks papa, for telling me and everything" he mutters in response, i place my hand on his back and rub gently.

i try and figure out his expression, he doesn't look happy, but he doesn't look disappointed. i don't know what to do as a father to help him, maybe i shouldn't try and figure him out, maybe i should just let him figure things out on his own.

———————
10 votes and i'll update again!
comment as well!