[Chapter 41]

[Tony]

    "Cap? Rogers? Are you there?" I asked, hearing silence over his communicator.

    "Phantom, what the hell is going on?" Fury's voice boomed in my ear, making me wince.

    "Sorry, Fury. Steve's currently out for the count, and he has a pretty big bump on his head. Get Stark or someone to get him, but don't follow me. Whatever you do, DO NOT GO AFTER ME. We clear?"

    "Clear? You're clearly sabotaging the mission!" I exclaimed. "Are you suicidal? You can't handle this by yourself, Quinn!"

    "He's right." Barton cut in bluntly over the communicator. "You're going to get everyone killed."

    "I can handle this, and I will." she snapped, voice echoing. "Stark and Banner, thanks for saving my life, but it doesn't really matter in the end. You should probably evacuate the city. Things are going to get messy."

    Rustling could be heard as the Phantom took her earpiece out and then dropped it onto the ground.

    "See you in hell."

    There was a crunch and the line filled with static.

    Silence.

    "What do we do now, sir?" Romanoff asked, speaking quietly.

    She and Barton were currently watching the city hall from rooftops while I circled above them in the night sky. Bruce and Thor were waiting in the wings, ready to help evacuate the city at a moment's notice.

    There was a sigh and Fury's boots could be heard sharply tapping the floor of the quinjet he was positioned in as the Director paced.

    "Continue with the plan. The Phantom is now regarded as a high threat to the integrity of the mission and as an enemy. Take her down if you have to."

    That bitch. I thought angrily. I actually cared enough to save your LIFE and this is how you repay me? By going and getting yourself and others killed?

    I rocketed across the sky to go find the Captain, knowing it was useless to go after the Phantom. If she wanted to do something stupid, then let her. Let her die.

    I never should have trusted her in the first place. All that comes from trust is betrayal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Quinn]

    The communicator crunched under my boot as I ground it with my heel, destroying it. My eyes flitted to Steve, who was laying motionless on the ground, a small trickle of blood running from his temple and matting his hair.

    "Sorry, Cap." I muttered. "But it never would have worked between us. Occupational hazards and such."

    Drawing a dagger, I turned sharply away from him, striding briskly into the darkness. My enhanced eyesight let me see easily as I crept down the earthen tunnel, occasionally pausing to listen, senses on high alert.

    The cool humidity clung to my skin as I approached a concrete door wedged into the earth, its grainy surface streaked with moss and grime. Its handle was bolted with a large lock, scratches on its surface from where a key had fumbled for its keyhole many times before.

    I could use my aura to melt away the lock, but then the light would be a dead giveaway that I'm on the other side of the door.

    The door looked thick enough to be soundproof, so I decided that picking the lock would be the best option.