Chapter 53

Seth POV:

I feel sorry for playing hide and seek with Dean. And I know what his mentality will be now because taking part in a task without knowing is really worse. What can I do if I want to surprise him? He's surprising me every day, so I want to surprise him a little differently to make this moment the last longing.

"Okay, okay. That's enough," I assure, looking up at the banner that one of the staff is hanging up. "That looks fantastic, man. Thanks."

The ebony-skinned woman climbs down the ladder. "No problem. Are you sure that your husband doesn't know about all this?"

"Pretty sure. I mean, I have told everyone not to breathe a word about this to Dean, so-" I'm startled to hear my phone blare out the custom ringtone that I have set for his calls and messages. I take my phone out of my pocket and make a loud hushing sound accompanied by a finger against my lips to keep everyone quiet.

I make sure that there is no sound around me before answering the call, "Hello?"

"Hey," He says from the other end, his voice filled with melancholy. "Did you come to the office for anything?"

I knew why he asked me this question because he saw me earlier when I passed over to his room. I want to cover up before he has doubted me, so I prepare something on my mind and whisper, "Nah. You knew I would tell you if I did any of that."

"Yeah." He clears his throat, waiting for the birthday greeting that I know will make him feel better about this day. "Hey, what day is it?"

"Uh, December 7. Why had you asked?" I make sure not to let out even a whispered greeting. It is supposed to be a surprise.

He lets out a defeated sigh, and when he answers, his voice shakes a little. "No reason. Just asking. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

I pretend I don't hear that sad sigh. "Okay."

I end the call and put my phone back in my pocket before helping Baron set up the table. After a few minutes, everything has set up. All that's missing now is the birthday boy. "Baron, can you maybe call him and tell him to come to the meeting hall?"

"Roman informed him already. Anyway, I can." He pulls his phone from his pocket and dials his cousin's number as he puts it on speaker. He holds the phone a few inches away from his mouth so everyone will hear the call. It takes a while for Dean to attend the call.

"Hello?" Dean says sadly at the other end.

"Dean, it's Baron. I'm sure that Roman has told you to come to the meeting hall to evaluating our new project." Baron uses his casual tone, making sure not to break the surprise.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was-" Dean stutters, trying to give him some reason.

Baron ignores him. "Please, get here this instant. It's quite important to our company, and I don't think I can discuss this with you tomorrow." He hangs up the phone without waiting for him to reply. "All right, he's on his way now. Turn off the lights."

Everyone wanders around the room to put some last-minute touches on the set-up. I nod at our family, and Alexa signals to Charlotte to turn the lights off in the room as we wait for the birthday boy.

A few boring minutes in, and almost everyone has convinced that he has gone home and I'm being one of them. But Roman cracks the door open a little but closes it once more, making shushing noises. Seconds later, the door opens, and Dean enters the room.

Dean POV:

When I enter the meeting hall, it is surrounded by darkness, just like my day. I don't know what Baron is doing in this darkness while calling me to come over. Does he forget to switch on the light, at least?

I shake my head in frustration and palm my face, trying to control my breathing because I'm sick of all this. "Hello? Baron?" I call out, trying to reach in front of me to try to find the switch.

The lights go on, and everyone let out a thunderous sound before rushing to me, "Happy Birthday!" I stand here speechless for a few seconds, trying to process all of this. So, everyone does remember my birthday, and they set up a surprise party for me. I look around as my family and friends crowd around me for a group hug.

When they move away, Seth is left standing in front of me that I swear I've seen him earlier. He has a hopeful smile on his face, the look in his beautiful brown orbs making him even more adorable, his hands stuff in his pants pockets.

"You didn't think I'd forget, did you?" He asks after five seconds of silence from me. He steps closer to me for a hug, whispering in my ear. "Happy birthday, Dean!"

"Something doesn't seem right," I comment, and he pulls away with a worried look spread all over his pretty features.

He looks at the sight around us. Everything is fine, and he is sure he doesn't miss anything. Everyone has the same expression on their faces, worrying that they ruin my birthday party. He drops his gaze back down to me, his face showing all of his worries.

I reach up and grab his face, kissing him passionately on the lips. "I love you."

He pulls away to catch his breath and slaps my shoulder playfully, "Stupid!"

Everyone burst out laughing. Seth tries to hide his embarrassment by hiding behind my back. The party starts, and everyone has a great time, dancing and helping themselves with the food. There is no alcohol, though, since we are in the office.

When I'm celebrating the party with my friends, I see him sitting down on a couch in the corner of the room, a cup of juice in hand, as he stares at the delightful scene in front of him.

"Hey, you're supposed to be celebrating too, you know?" I sit down next to him, finishing the last bite of a piece of cake that I have carried on a plate for a few minutes.

He looks up and takes a sip of his juice, giving me a soft, innocent smile. It wants me to kiss all over his face, but I have to control myself because people are besieging us.

I break the silence between us and hold his hand in mine, rubbing his knuckles gently. "Where's the gift?" I ask expectantly, hoping he'll make this day a lovely one for me.

He stares at me in complete shock and worries his lip, trying to relieve the nervousness by playing with his fingers. "Baron told me that you hated gifts, so I didn't buy anything. Hmm.. okay. Just tell me, what do you want? I'll give you anything if I can."

"Anything?" With a big grin on my face, I raise an eyebrow at him. "What if I tell you that I want you?" I add, with a playful wink.

He knows that I'm joking. Nevertheless, he replies, "I'll give myself to you."

It must have been nothing I'm expecting to hear. It doesn't make me nervous I rather like it, but still, it is a surprise. I blink, my mouth slightly opens. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," He says barely above a whisper, taking one step closer to me. His eyes meet my blue orbs, trying to explain that he trusts me. Is it real or not?