8

We passed under a scanner that filled my vision with blinding green light before entering the cold lobby. My footsteps echoed through the room. There are no chairs and no decorations.

Four other Offerings and their Executives stand in the middle of the room, and I suddenly felt exposed, being watched by so many eyes. I crossed my arms over my chest and stared back.

The Offering from South Division looked skittish. His eyes kept darting back and forth, and he slouched as if to appear smaller. The girl next to him appeared calmer, her blood red hair pulled back from her elegant face. By the style of her clothing, I could tell she must have been from Central Division. She smiled at me and her eyes met mine for a split second before broke contact to glance at the girl beside her. She looked rebellious, with her sleek black mane and dark eyes. She reminded me of Azura.

The final offering was from North Division, tall, dark- haired, and imposing. His eyes bore through me, but I lifted my chin and raised my brows like I had seen Azura do. I'm not scared of you. I'm not scared of this.

It was a lie.

He only smirked and studied the rest of the room, as if waiting for something to happen.

"We'll let you guys talk for a minute as we get the testing room ready," my Executive said, leading his comrades out of the room. I let out a sigh as they all disappeared down a hallway.

"We're still not alone," the Offering from North Division said, pointing to a camera I hadn't noticed when I stepped in the room. As he turned his head, I realized that he didn't have a Mason Chip.

Why? Is he not a citizen? Is he-

Azura turned to me, interrupting my thoughts. "You still better spill the beans, Maia. What's the deal?"

The other Offerings stared at us, rubbing their arms awkwardly. The silence was almost painful.

I sighed, rubbing my temples. I didn't want to tell her in front of everyone what I saw on the governor's face, but... this might be the only time we were alone. I glanced up at the cameras, then lowered my voice and whispered, "Remember when Governor Mason coughed in the middle of his hologram?"

"Wait a second- you guys got a personal hologram from the governor?" the girl with red hair asked, tilting her head at me.

Azura nodded. "Yeah, 'cause of her," she pointed to me.

I straightened my posture and gave everyone a challenging stare. I may be the Sixth Offering, but that doesn't make me any less worthy than them. "I saw him cough up blood. There was some staining his cheek and he didn't notice."

"So what?"

The dark- haired boy pressed a finger to his lips, jerking his head towards the camera. "Shhh!"

"What does it matter if we're loud?" I asked, snapping towards him. I'm not exactly sure what came over me, but I was suddenly overcome with negativity. I hadn't realized before how close to death I really was, and how unready I felt. "We're going to bite the dust anyway."

At that, the boy from South Division squeaked and covered his mouth. The dark- haired boy rolled his eyes at that, then turned to focus his razorblade gaze on me. I fought to resist flinching, and returned his stare with a glare of my own. "You really think we're going to go down that easy? No way. I'll fight the Tempests as long as I can."

My hopes immediately skyrocketed, my mind buzzing with possibility as I desperately tried to control my thoughts. "We can do that?"

"Please," the girl from West Division scoffed. "The Tempests aren't even real."