7

My eyebrows shot up. Was the government actually trying to come up with a good solution? Or was this just propaganda, and the samples had another use? The Executive looked sincere- did he actually believe in a substitute, or did he not know what the governor was planning?

Whatever it was, Azura did not flinch as much as I did. Either she knew about the substitute, or she was good at masking her surprise.

It was not even a few minutes later when the car rumbled to a stop, and both the driver and the Executive stepped out. A cold wind darted inside as the door slammed shut, reminding me of the chill of North Division.

The door to my left swung open, allowing me to meet the cold eyes of the Executive. "We're here."

I glanced over my shoulder at Azura, who was scanning the terrain around the Executive, before stepping out of the vehicle.

Wind blasted against my face, each strand of my brown hair stinging as it whipped against my cheeks. I squinted to get a good look at my surroundings.

We were right next to a the giant border walls, the ringing in my ears as intense as ever. A tall, metal building stood against the wall, surrounded by barbed wire crackling with electricity. The whole place smelled strongly of rubbing alcohol.

Four other cars were lined neatly along the gravel pathway, and there were no heavily forested landscapes to indicate that we were in North Division.

I met Azura's penetrating gaze, noticing that she had been examining the scenery outside the Prime House as well. She was smart, with eyes like a hawk. I would have to watch out for her.

"Let's go," the Executive said flatly, tipping his hat to the driver and leading Azura and me into the steel building. As his hand pressed against my back, I felt a slight resistance- he had placed something thin and cold enough for me to feel the chill through my tunic. "The other Offerings are waiting there for you."

I tried to tame my fluttering heart as we entered the double doors, and as soon as he looked away I grabbed at my back. My hands found a thin bug, sticky on one side. They were planning on listening to whatever I did. I let the microphone drop to the floor, letting it clatter in time with my footsteps. I glanced over at Azura's back, trying to see if she had one too.

She did.

I would tell her later.