XIX - professor calculus and country hicks

"Fury won't be telling anyone. Her location won't even be on any file to ensure her safety and the safety of the family that takes her in-"

"Why, my ears are burning." Regina deadpanned from the doorway. Natasha stopped speaking, and the group turned to face Regina. Really, she was surprised - she did not think that their whole ragtag group of "Avengers" would actually careabout whats happening to her, and yet there they were. Sat in a conference room, looking very much worse for wear and discussing her relocation like they actually dared to give a shit.

"Hey, Professor Calculus over there, you shouldn't be out of bed yet." Tony said to her, crossing his arms.

"Especially if your ears are so hot, Lady Orcus. Is that a midguardian sign for ailment?" Thor asked.

The corners of her mouth twitched up into a smile. "Lady Orcus. I like that." She nodded to herself. "And no. It's an expression for sensing that people are talking about you."

"Staves-" Natasha started.

"He knows it won't stop me. Fury knows that." Regina interrupted her. She was unsteady on her feet, and her condition was only more highlighted by the fact that she didn't notice Steve take half a step closer in case she fell. "Throwing me away from Shield. I was the Orcus before Shield, and if I outlive this crummy organisation, I'll still be the Orcus then." She gritted her teeth and scoffed. "Forget about it. Have nice trips home, everyone. I won't." She looked at Thor, giving him a soft smile. "Tell Loki it was fun meeting his insane ass. He'd hate that I enjoyed him nearly killing me."

She was glad she had at that point at least, since she had to use the wall to support herself on the way back to her room. That would have been an ever so slightly embarrassing note to leave it all on.

Though angry and in denial now, in a few days time she'd realise just how much she missed those idiots. It had been a very short time knowing them, but quite an eventful time. Hopefully when she was older she could be an Avenger again, but to be honest she found it doubtful. It seemed like they were just finding ways to get rid of her at this point.

Well, it was working at least. She'd be gone in the coming weeks.

--

"Risin' up, straight to the top, had the guts, got the glory, went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop, just a man and his will to survive."

It was weird to listen to music on actual headphones instead of a high-tech earpiece. But there Regina was, sat in the drivers seat of an inconspicuous truck with Clint beside her, with apple earbuds in her ear that were one soft tug away from breaking. He didn't know the she had her earpieces in one of the very few bags stacked into the back, now completely disconnected from S.H.I.E.L.D and Stark Industries. What he didn't know wouldn't hurt him, after all.

Well, hopefully not. You could never really know with her.

"Shield has always had your best interest in heart, Regina. It's why you were taken on, and it's why Furys decided to do this now. Whatevers changed, this is what's best for you now." He said. The ride had been relatively quiet, Regina being quick to shut down any attempted conversation as soon as he tried to start it up. This was the first time he didn't seem to be asking for a response for her.

"Best then, best now, who gives a shit." Regina muttered, just a bit salty at her situation. She frowned at the approaching farm. "Really? Those idiots actually think that it's in my "best interest"  to settle down and act like I'm a normal kid, living with a bunch of country hicks?" She was really pissed off at this point, already planning her escape when they parked. It was bad enough she had only found out that day that the roots of her hair had turned "silver" (she was sure it was grey), now she had to live on a farm? What was she, a cow?

"Well, I wouldn't call us country hicks, but sure. Whever floats your boat."

"Wait," Regina furrowed her eyebrows, replaying what he said. "What do you mean 'us'?"

[THE SILVER ORCUS WILL RETURN.]