IV - a kid and a god

•  

"I can go, I'm allowed-" Regina started, but Steve cut her off.

"I won't be letting a kid go into battle unless absolutely necessary." He said. "You'll be of more use here, stay and wait for when we have Loki." She opened her mouth to object but he had already left, Natasha closing the door behind him.

"He's right, Staves." She said from her seat. "You're not as good at fighting to capture as you like to think. Not that I think you're exactly capable of killing a god, but you are pretty good at making a scene."

Regina scoffed, sitting down. "Is that meant to make me feel better, Romanoff?" She understood what they meant, of course, but she very much resented being called a kid by a guy she was pretty sure had a norrower skill set than she did.

Natahsa scoffed, flicking a switch above her head. "It's not meant to make you feel better, just meant to make you shut up and stay still."

  •  

now paul is a real estate novelist, who never had time for a wife,

and he's talking with davy, who's still in the navy, and probably will be for-

"Why are you staring at me?" Loki finally asked, after a solid minute of Reginas steady gaze. She was sat opposite him, elbows leaning on her knees as she looked him over. "I wasn't allowed to pick you up for our little trip here, which was a damn bummer. Y'know? Like, I'm kind pissed because I was called a 'kid' even though I could kick a certain somebodies ass." She said, voice raising as she indirectly spoke to Steve.

"You called her a kid?" Tony scoffed, shaking his head at the Captain. "Rookie mistake, she'll never let that go."

"I specialise in pettiness."

"You sound more bitter than petty." Loki commented. He kept his voice monotonous while speaking to her, but if there was anything Regina was good at it was reading people. She noticed the slight quirk in his eyebrow, and if he truly wasn't interested he wouldn't have kept her speaking.

And, well, if she's good at reading people than she's the master at speaking.

"Bitter? Always!" She agreed. "Y'know, it's like nobody appreciates me around here. I could kick all their asses and yet I'm the kid who has to stay behind because apparently I'm too wayward or whatever. It's insanity, man." Loki seemed a little more amused as she rattled on.

"Sharing your life story back there, Staves?" Natasha called back. "Always seems like a good idea, sharing your life story to a homicidal Asguardian."

"Figured if he wants to kill me anyway, might as well feed him my sob story first, y'know? He can go on and tell his evil posse about the cool S.H.I.E.L.D agent he wished he could have recruited." Regina replied jokingly. Natasha scoffed, returning her focus to piloting the plane, and she turned back to Loki. "If I tell you a good enough story, you'll spare me in your homicideal rampage, right? I could be, like, a cultural leader in your revamped society - I assume you're doing doctatorship type deals rather than votes, but to be honest I'm cute enough to win an election. I've got some charm about me, you know?"

"And yet no common sense."

Regina gave Tony an unimpressed look. "No common sense? I'm not the man stood in a metal suit mocking the girl that can manipulate metal."

"No, but you are the girl with eyeliner on one eye only."

Regina narrowed her eyes at him, before gettign a dagger from her side to look at her reflection. She frowned, lowering it to give the two men dirty looks. ".... You both wrong as hell for letting this happen. I hope you know that."