Chapter 12

Derek shouts letting me know that his waiting for me outside.

I sigh, looking around my room one last time before heading to the airport. Squeezing my phone, waiting for a message from him to pop up but nothing comes. No goodbye message, it's probably best this way.

Closing my eyes I try and fight the tears. I don't understand why it's falling. This is for the best, I know it is. My home is back in New York with Cindy and my job. Mr Jones sent me a message yesterday regarding the partnership and that the board is awaiting my return to celebrate.

Shaking off the unease feeling, I walk down the stairs to say goodbye to mama before leaving. Who knows when I'll be back again.

Mama stands when she sees me coming, rushing to give me a hug. "I'm going to miss you Sam, be safe and look after yourself. Don't take another 5 years to visit me this time. I'm proud of you baby girl," mama cries suddenly.

"Thank you for everything," is all I can manage."

"Did you say goodbye to Nate?"

"I'm respecting his space, mama."

"Nonsense Sam, you love that boy. You always have and always will. You will atleast say goodbye before you leave."

Sighing, "Okays" was all I managed to say.

Heading out, I kiss mama one last time before leaving for good.

"Hey Derek, can you take me to Nate's place before heading to the airport?".

"If you're sure," was all he said.

                 *****************

We pull up to Nate's drive way. Still the same beautiful property where he taught me how to ride a horse. Looking down at my hands, not sure how to approach this moment.

Derek looks over at me and tells me I got this.

Ignoring him, I get out of the rust bucket just in time to see Nate coming down the stairs towards me. He obviously heard this rust bucket coming a mile away.

Getting out of the vehicle, it's now or never. Looking into his eyes I'm enthralled by it. The pure beauty of it leaves me speechless. Having held a grudge against him for the past 5 years only to find out that I jumped to conclusions bothers me.

"Hi," I announce.

He smiles and says it back.

Looking down at the ground, he lifts my chin up, preferring to look into my eyes instead.

"I'm here to say goodbye Nate."

"I know," he whispers.

"It's for the best..." My traitorous body leaning towards him.

"You will always own my heart Sam, don't forget that", he says before kissing me passionately. Tears are streaming down my face as I pour my emotions into that kiss, before pulling away slowly.

He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into his body radiating heat. I'm consumed by his scent as he gives me a tight hug as a final goodbye. His breath lingers in the arch of my neck before he steps away. Smiling sadly he nods goodbye once more before he heads inside and closes the door for good.

Calming myself mentally, I wipe my tears away before looking at the closed door once more. Leaving my heart at the place I no longer call home. Once I get back into the vehicle, Derek looks me over and starts Betty without saying a word.

This is for best I tell myself on repeat.
This place is no longer your home.

***********************************

What a journey we were on...

Please Comment / Vote/ Follow

Love Jade