Chapter 11

"Cindy, it's done he signed it. My time here is up, I'm planning on leaving soon." I say despondently.

"Sweet cheeks you don't sound happy about it."

"It's for the best anyway, I don't belong here anymore. It's been 5 years and since then I have changed." I try and convince myself but the mirror image in front of me is merely reflecting back a stranger.

"Sammy sweetie you need to do what's best for you. I've never heard you this happy in awhile and right now you sound awfully depressed."

Tears running down my eyes not understanding these emotions, suddenly feeling like nothing changed since 5 years ago. Feeling like the same heartbroken girl I was back then.

*****************

Waking up early to take a morning jog. Breathing heavy while listening to AC/DC's Back in Black. Passing tree after tree, truly missing this beautiful scenery. I'm struck at the fact that I miss home. Heading towards a bench to sit, thinking about what Nate said. He wants to let me go. He never cheated on me. I'm such a fool. Why was I so naive?

"Well well, if it ain't Sam. We missed you up in these parts."

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up by the voice of Todd.

"What do you want?" I spat out annoyingly.

Todd steps back holding his hands up, "Look Sam, we were just kids back then, I have changed.

"You tricked me. You said that you saw them together on more than one occasion. I trusted you, clearly mama was right, I should of never trusted you Todd!"

"I'm sorry Sam, I was jealous of your relationship with Nate. You were my friend and I disrespected that trust. When you mentioned that you over heard Stephanie and Lynn talking that night, In a moment of weakness, I used it to my advantage. I never thought you would actually run away and leave. Please forgive me, nobody bothered to be my friend except you. Everyone just assumed because I looked like a rebel that I was no good. Please forgive me. I'm sorry." Todd says with so much sorrow.

Looking at the ground, sighing, "We both different people now Todd and I won't hold it against you. I'm leaving soon anyway."

"Already?" He asks with confusion.

"I'm only here for a merger Todd, I don't belong here anymore." Staring at my ground like it's moving.

"Does Nate know?" He asks curiously.

"Yes, he told me his letting me go."

He turns to face me, "Sam, haven't you ran enough?"

"You know nothing Todd."

"I know more than you think Sam, I lived a hard life, heck I still live with scars. Every day I thought about running, but I'm no coward," he says before getting up to leave.

I sigh leaning my head against the back of the bench. Remembering that this particular bench was the place Nate asked me to marry him. We were only 17 then, a year away from prom and graduation. Gosh how in a year everything changed.

Remembering it as if it was yesterday, it was a reasonably warm Saturday evening. We came from the pools after Nate's shift and he randomly suggested taking a walk. I mean who suggests taking a walk. Anyway I hardly noticed any strange behaviour coming from him, except that he kept kissing me none stop. I wasn't exactly complaining, I loved his kisses. After a few minutes of walking we ended up taking a seat in this rustic looking bench, where we cuddled as he held me tightly.

"Do you know how much I love you", he said. "I love you more than words can express, I love you from here to the moon and back, I love you so much that I want to wake up next to you everyday of my life. Will you marry me Sam?"

I remember that I was completely flabbergasted. But I asked him if he was joking and he denied it. He really was proposing. He never had a ring on him that day only that he was saving for the perfect one. I told him I didn't need a ring immediately and would wait.

Little did we know that happy moments, don't always last.

***********************************

Love all the support

Please Comment / Vote / Follow

Love Jade