16. Monster ✓

Magsimula sa umpisa

      "Read it to me," she insisted, catching him off guard. 

      He looked up at her, his eyes full of confusion and surprise. "I beg your pardon?"

      "The book. Read it to me," Athelia said again, but instead of obliging, he closed the book and set it on his lap.  "Unless you would like me to leave. If that is to be the case, then all you have to do is ask."

      Loki's gaze fell to the book in his hand, and his slender fingers tapped at the old red hardcover. He was contemplating his options, and she found it rather difficult to decipher the look on his face. Unlike his brother, Loki was well versed in the art of body language, and she knew he was doing his best to keep up an emotionless front, making it difficult to figure out which way she needed to sway him.

    Athelia knew it wouldn't happen overnight, but she had hoped she could make even a little headway before she made he way back to her chambers, so when he cleared his throat and tried to make himself comfortable, she had thought she had gotten the headstart she needed. But instead of spouting off whatever monologue he had been reading, he closed the book and shook his. 

     "I'm not reading you a story."

     Her eyes widened in surprise. He was so close to saying yes. "What? Why not?" 

      She stood up, her long silk gown falling to her feet, and she walked towards him, causing Loki to jump to his feet. "Because you're not a child, and I'm not your father." 

      Athelia narrowed her eyes, but it didn't take long for her to understand that it must have been an Asgardian customer for parents to read to their offspring. "Well then - can I read it?" She asked, holding her hand out. "Just a passage. I promise I will give it back." 

      "Believe me, there's no part of me that believes you will enjoy Shakespeare," he told her, but it didn't stop her from taking it from him anyway. Her small hands held the book perfectly, and Loki watched as she took it upon herself to sit at the edge of the edge and run her finger over the gold embellishments of the book. "What are you doing?" 

        She looked up at him as she pushed herself further up the bed and made herself comfortable. "Athelia?" 

       "What?" She snapped at him. "I'm bored."

       "Well, I'm sure there are better ways you can cure yourself of that. Preferably ones that do not include getting comfortable in my bed. You do realize the guards could come by at any moment and see you here?"

        Athelia chuckled. "What are they going to do, Loki? Arrest you? Lock you away for the rest of your life? Put you in solitude?" She mocked. "So sit down, and try to enjoy what little company you get down here in this pitiful cell." 

        Loki tensed, his hands clenching at his sides. He had no idea what to do with her or himself as their short turns together always tended to end in threats, and this time - this time, she was on his side of the wall, where his magic was still very much awake and lively. Magic that could easily turn her into a bargaining chip for his freedom. 

       Though he knew there had to be an angle. There always was. 

       He may not have known much about his brother's future wife, but he did know the woman was far more dangerous than anyone he had ever met and certainly not daft enough to appear before him in nothing but a sheer slip of robe without reason.

        "What game are you playing?" He finally asked her, leaning forward and bracing the edge of the bed with his hand. He bent down, eye level with the future queen, and all she did was smile as she flipped another page, her blue eyes scanning each and every word as quickly as he would had he been the one holding the book. "Athelia, answer me."