The Hokage nodded to Iruka and he approached Kakashi slowly, a piece of paper in his hands.

"No Kakashi," The Hokage began as Kakashi took the paper from Iruka in a quick snatch, "not all is as it should be"

Kakashi's eye scanned the note, barely caring what it said, until he realized what it was and what it meant.

The room fell silent, the air completely leaving his body as his eye rose to the two men in front of him. Kakashi stood quickly, the note falling to the floor. He went to speak, but nothing came out. He tried to move, but could not. He soon found himself on his knees, Iruka holding him up. The room was moving in and out of focus, he was numb.

"What have I done" escaped him like a whisper.

The Hokage sat silently as Iruka helped Kakashi back into his chair. Iruka sat beside him, failing to hold back tears, he looked away as they fell silently.

"We have to... there must be a way... I'll leave now" Kakashi attempted to stand, but was stopped by the Hokage's hand shooting into the air. Kakashi fell silent and waited for direction. For the first time in a long time, Kakashi was willing to receive orders.

"As hard as this is to hear," The Hokage paused, knowing his next words were not going to go over well, "we have to wait"

Kakashi attempted to interject, but was again stopped by the Hokage's hand.

"You running off is exactly what this note is meant to do. This is meant to stop you from thinking, to make you run into an ambush never to return, and then where would we be? No closer to rescue and you possibly dead"

The Hokage's voice was a low, calm tone as he spoke. The Hokage knew what was happening and he had to stop it before it happened.

"We will gather the ANBU and devise a plan. A plan that will end this situation once and for all" The Hokage stood and left without another word.

Iruka looked to Kakashi, who sat without moving.

"This is all my fault." Kakashi stated quietly

"Kakashi no, this is not your fault" Iruka turned to him, trying to get his attention as he stared off blankly "There is nothing you could have done."

"I left. I left when I felt the other presence." Kakashi stood and looked out the window "The other presence was them."

Iruka stayed silent, shocked by the statement. How could you!!, was all he wanted to yell, but Iruka knew now was not the time.

"Kakashi," He stated as he stood beside him, "there is nothing you could have done, even if you knew. We could have lost both of you at that point and then what?"

Kakashi did not reply and continued to stare. Iruka didn't know what else to say. He too, felt guilty for leaving Yuki behind. If he had stayed a little longer, if he had taken her with him then. So many things to think about. Iruka shook his head slightly and looked to Kakashi, pulling himself together as best he could.

"We have to get to the meeting." He said in the strongest tone he could manage

Kakashi shook his head slowly, following Iruka out of the room to ANBU headquarters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The meeting room had already begun to fill as they entered. The room, which had been filled with chatter, quickly fell silent. Kakashi walked to a seat in the back as all eyes watched him. No one made a move to him or attempted to say anything.

Iruka could feel the tension in the room, everyone all thinking the same thing, but no one saying it. No doubt everyone heard what the note had said and now it was clear that everyone knew just want it meant. The truth was out and Iruka had to admit he didn't mind it, now it was not a secret he was forced to keep. Iruka sat next to Kakashi, not saying a word, but being a silent strength as he nodded for everyone to continue.

The room began to grow loud again. The conversations all mixed together, so there was not one topic that could be overheard. Kakashi continued to stare out the window, not moving or saying a word.

What can I even say to this? Nothing will make it better...or even help.

Thankfully the room fell silent as the Hokage entered. He stood in the front of the room and said nothing, he didn't need to, his face said it all. He looked around the room, all eyes on him.

"This is not," He paused, composing himself, "something we ever want to face. Threats have been made to a member of our village, a member of our lives"

The Hokage slowly scanned the room as each person nodded, standing closer to the person next to them.

"We will not stand for this, we will not be threatened, and we will not attack blindly like these people want us to" The Hokage paused again, visibly shaking "We all know what must be done and we will waste not time in doing it."

The Hokage stepped to the side, letting an ANBU take over. The plan was simply explain, but Iruka could not focus on it.

This is why I am not in ANBU. I can't handle things like this.

The room came to an agreement before Iruka could focus long enough on what was happening. The area cleared leaving himself, the Hokage, and Kakashi remaining.

The Hokage slowly approached Iruka, pulling him to the side as two ANBU stepped next to Kakashi and pulled him to his feet. Kakashi stood and followed blindly without protest.

"They will get him ready" The Hokage stated as the two men watched Kakashi being led away.

"You are going to include him in all this?" Iruka sounded slightly panicked

The Hokage nodded slowly, "He has to be involved. The plan will never work without him"

Iruka, embarrassed he had not heard any of the plan, put his head down.

The Hokage gave a small laugh, patting Iruka on the back, "Do not fear Iruka, I know this is not your strong suit."

"I am sorry Hokage-sama" Iruka began to apologize, but was swiftly cut off

"No need to apologize, Iruka. Your talents lie elsewhere and there is nothing wrong with that." The Hokage smiled and left the room.

Iruka was alone, for the first time since this began. He thought back to entering the Hokage's office, to the note being brought in to exam, how he reacted versus how the Hokage composed himself. Iruka sat, his head in his hands as he cried. He cried for Yuki, he cried for Kakashi, he just plain cried not caring who saw him.

Iruka stayed like this for what felt like an eternity before he pulled himself together.

No one will be helped if I stay like this. He thought as he rose. Where do I even begin?