The Promises

"A full scale attack." The Hokage didn't bother with even a glance around the room, his word was all that mattered.

"How soon?" Was all Kakashi could manage to say, I need at least a night with Yuki before I go. Should I tell her it's been me this whole time?

"At first I thought the sooner the better," Kakashi winced at his words, fearing what he could say next "but then I realized the best course of action would be to wait for their next move. We need a direction to head first."

Kakashi nodded, feeling his tension ease. As long as the group didn't make a move he had nothing to worry about.

"Keep the team on high alert, raise patrols, and be aware of any movement around us." The Hokage nodded to the room, signaling the end of their meeting.

Kakashi turned to exit with the others, knowing he would have to hold a meeting of his own to discuss the plans of their heightened security.

"Should I assemble all ANBU?" Two ANBU stood outside the door as he exited the room

"Yes. Have everyone at headquarters in an hour." The two nodded and vanished

I have enough time. Kakashi moved as fast as he could to Yuki's house. He knew he had been right, he knew she would bea wake in a matter of minutes. He entered as if it was his own home and ran up the stairs to Yuki's room. He stopped to see Iruka seated by her bed, they both stopped talking as Yuki's head slowly turned to lay eyes on Kakashi. He felt his knees buckle as she smiled as best she could at him. He sat next to her as Iruka rose, silently leaving the room without a look from either of them.

Kakashi stared down at her, throwing his glove to the floor as he touched her face softly. She smiled and moved her head into his palm closing her eyes. When they opened they were filled with tears.

"Are you in pain?" Kakashi began to panic, he had no idea how to help her. Yuki shook her head, tears streaming down her face as her hand moved to hold his to her face.

"I'm sorry," She paused with a cry "I'm sorry I let you down. You had so much faith in me and I let you down."

"Yuki no." Kakashi laid down next to her, gathering her in his arms "You didn't let me down. You were amazing."

His hands were in her hair, her face buried in his chest as she tried to hold back her cries.

"I should have been better." She moved to look up at him "Do you think less of me?"

Kakashi moved his hands to wipe her tears away as she continued to stare up at him.

"I could never think less of you." A smile made its way to her face, her hands running up his arms to rest on his shoulders.

"You saved me from the darkness. I heard you calling me." She moved so her face was in front of him, her grip on his shoulders growing tighter. Kakashi felt his hands drifting to her hips, feeling her body moving forward into him, a small gasp escaping her as she became flush with him. Kakashi's hand drifted to her thigh, gripping it tightly as he pulled her closer. Kakashi could feel Yuki's movements and how frantic they were becoming. His mind was clouding over, the only thought he had was to...

"Yuki." His voice startled both of them "I have to meet with the rest of ANBU, we have to heighten security around the village." She continued to stay pressed against him, staring at him

"Whatever you have to do, you know where I am" She said with a laugh, but Kakashi didn't laugh back. She backed away as Kakashi sat up, letting his arms drop away from her. "What's wrong?"

"If the group attacks I have to," He paused looking at her and the worry on her face "I'll have to leave for an attack."

He watched as she took the news, feeling the guilt wash over him, it wasn't fair to do this to her now.

Yuki tried her best to collect her thoughts, she knew what his duties entailed, she knew he would be sent out for an attack whenever he was needed. She had to be strong for him, she had to show him that she could support him and she would be waiting when he returned.

Yuki sat on her knees, slipped her hands behind Wolf's head and linked her fingers behind his neck.

"I'll be here when you get back. I'll wait for you, as long as it takes I'll be here." Kakashi brought his arms around her, pulling her tightly to him.

"I never wanted this for you." He whispered, pain filling his voice. She looked at him as her eyes began to tear up again.

"You have to promise me a few things, right here right now" Her face became completely serious as he nodded at her. He didn't know how much he could promise her, but he would try.

"Make every night we have together matter."

"I promise"

"If you leave," She paused to regain her voice "when you return no more mask. I want us to be together"

There was a fear in her eyes, she wasn't sure what would come next. She also couldn't believe she had the courage to say something like that.

What can I say to that? Kakashi watched as her features changed waiting for his answer. I can't say no, not after everything she's been through. By this point it'll just end up being me getting hurt when she doesn't want me. I can handle that, it's better than hurting her by me saying no.

"I promise"

"Really?!" She threw her arms around his neck as he laughed

"Really"

She couldn't stop laughing, moving around in his arms.

"I have to go Yuki" She backed away as he stood, the biggest smile on her face.

"Will you be back tonight?"

"I promised didn't I?" She smiled as he vanished

Yuki pressed her back to the wall, staring out the window. I knew it was just a bad dream.