The Peaceful Night

It was late in the evening when Iruka and Yuki finally emerged from the academy. Having to file and grade papers had taken the rest of the afternoon, while the children had gone home hours ago. Yuki didn’t mind, she was actually really excited to be a part of something so wonderful. The two walked along, chatting about the class and how Yuki had done today.

“Yuki sensei.” Yuki turned quickly to see a small group of children behind her

“Will you be in class tomorrow?” said the girl who asked if Yuki was a spy. Yuki bent down, her hands on her knees to come face to face with the girl.

“Yes I will be.” The little girl smiled up at her and then took off with her small group.

Yuki stood back up to look at Iruka, he swore he saw tears in her eyes, but he decided not to say anything. Instead he directed her into the ramen stand and they took their seats.

“I assume you’re looking forward to tomorrow then?” Iruka said as they were served

“More than you know” Iruka noted the emotion in her voice, this is why you’re going to be great Yuki. He smiled as they ate and talked about nothing too serious.

Iruka walked Yuki home, making sure she got inside safely. Iruka couldn’t wait to return to his own home and settle in for the night. It had been a long day and he knew the next few weeks of training Yuki would be even more work piled onto him. He sighed as he continued through the winding streets, it’s not that I mind the extra work, but it does get a little tiring sometimes. Finally reaching his home and dropping his things where ever they landed. Iruka was happy to see he did not have a nighttime visitor waiting for him. At least I can have some peace in my night. While Iruka was preparing to retire for the night a shadowed figure watched, making sure he was set on staying in. When it was clear that Iruka was not going anywhere else the figure moved on, I have more important matters to attend to, he thought as he made his way to Yuki’s window. You wanted to see your nighttime visitor, he thought watching Yuki in her bedroom. Well here I am. I hope you’re ready.