Youth 07

0 7

the first snow is coming

The final year of high school is the worst. At the age of eighteen we're forced to choose what we want to do in the future. Even if we manage to pick something, whether we can even have a chance of achieving it depends on a number. What's the point of volunteering or sports or clubs, being compassionate and trustworthy if you're not even looked at past a certain number?

Isaac stared at the test in front of him. He tapped his pencil against the desk and wondered what he should do. He knew what the answers were and he could, to the shock of his teachers, get everything right. But, if he did that, then he wouldn't have an excuse to see Rosemond anymore. Then again, it wasn't like he had a chance with her. Three years and she still doesn't see him as anything more than Delancy's friend. He looked at the time and did what he had to do.

During the break, Isaac headed down the hall to Diego's class. The two were chatting away with some others before two people walked up to them.

"Hey, is Delancy dating that guy?" A guy asked, pulling a chair up to the group.

"What guy?" Diego asked.

"The one that she's always with. The weirdo who keeps talking to himself."

"Dunno," said Diego, wanting to end the conversation.

"Can you ask her?"

"It's not like she would date you," said Isaac. "I don't think she's ever dated anybody."

"Please. I'll buy you lunch for a week."

"Deal," said Isaac.

"Dude." Diego said, slapping Isaac's hand away from the shake.

"A month?"

"Delancy!" Diego gave a quick handshake and ran off to find Delancy.

"Not fair." Isaac dashed off after realising the situation.

The duo raced down the halls, stopping by the student council room, gym, courtyard, and roof before they found Delancy in the fashion classroom working on her project alone.

"Hi Delancy," they said in such a tone with such a smile that it was her turn to give them the scared look.

"I don't have any money. I don't know the answers to the test. What do you want?"

"Are you single?"

"Are you dating anyone?"

"Say a certain guy who mumbles to himself."

"What are they offering you?" She asked. Delancy put down the scissors and leaned back into her chair with her arms crossed.

"What are you talking about?" said Diego. "I'm just curious about my best friend's romantic life. Seventeen years without a boyfriend? Are you into-"

"A month's lunch," Isaac interrupted.

"Dude," Diego said, slapping Isaac again.

"Dude, stop slapping me. You know I bruise easily." Isaac rubbed his hand before looking at Delancy with hopeful eyes.

"Give me dessert for the entire month and I'll tell you."

"Del," Isaac said. He was looking forward to a month's worth of cookies.