Newly Weds and Lilac Gardens

Chapter Eighteen

-Maria-

The car that was coming down the road came to a stop in front of Cas's car. Sure it was perfect another person came down the road when we needed it, but deep inside I was terrified if they recognized me.

Two people climbed out of the car, the driver was a man, the passenger a woman. I assumed they were married, judging they both had a ring on their left ring fingers. Then I noticed on their side window, 'JuST MarRIeD'. They were on their honeymoon.

"You two lost?" the man asks.

"No, sir," Cas calls back.

I keep my head down, so they wouldn't see my face.

"Car broke down?" he continues.

I glanced nervously toward Cas. Say no, I wish. Don't ask for help.

"No, sir. Just stopping to stretch our legs," she answers.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Dear, you look familiar," the woman began.

My eyes widened with fear. Did they read any articles pertaining to Cas?

Cas didn't respond. She must've been caught off-guard.

"Oh my gosh," the woman began to walk towards us. "You're the girl from the article. Oh, Hank what was the girl's name?"

"Cassandra,"

"Yes! You don't happen to be Cassandra, do you?"

"Uhh," Cas stutters.

The woman turns to me. "And who are you?"

I think for a name. "Grace, don't you think this stop has been enough? We've gotten our fresh air, we got our legs stretched. We really need to be going or we'll be late to the reunion,"

"Good thinking...Charlie, we really should be going. We're supposed to be meeting with someone very soon," Cas goes along.

Quickly, we both head for the car.

"Wait a second! You're that criminal girl, Maria!" the man shouts at me.

I pause in my tracks. He knew me. He saw me. My heart raced. This wasn't good.

The woman gasped. "No! That means you are Cassandra! Poor dear, being kidnapped by an alien!"

A surge of anger flowed through me. I turn towards the woman, seething.

"Maria, don't," Cas tells me.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice the man putting his phone to his ear.

"Nine one one, I'm on a back road in Arizona, I found the missing girl Cassandra and the criminal who kidnapped her, Maria Luca,"

"I didn't kidnap her!" I scream.

Cas, now by my side, leaned towards my ear. "Run, call Diego, and get out of here,"

"I'm not leaving you here with them,"

"I can handle myself, and I know you handle yourself, now run, trust me,"

I look into Cas's eyes, knowing she meant it and that she wouldn't let me stay for her.

"Okay,"

She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Go!"

A little flustered at the gesture, I darted off, away from the newly wedded couple, away from where the police would be arriving. For a second time, I ran away from Cas.