I never thought that I’d associate myself with these types of people. Mom was very choosy when it comes to people I interact with.

        But here inside the school’s premises, this was the only area where I have freedom, where I have a choice on who I’d be friends with. And choosing Earl and Maxene-I didn’t have regrets.

        I squatted down the floor, right now; we were on the school’s rooftop. This place was pretty much abandoned and no one comes here much.

        I decided to lie down. The floor was surprisingly tidy. I could feel the cool breeze against my skin, the sunrays hitting my face. I’ve never felt so relaxed in my entire life.

        "Anyways, I’m gonna’ go to the cafeteria, anything you want me to buy?" asked Maxene.

        "Nothing."

        "Okay."

        After that, she left.

        Minutes passed and I suddenly heard a sound of a heavy footfall going toward my direction. It’s probably Maxene. I guess she’s back, huh.

        "Why are you here?" questioned a familiar cold voice.

        My heart skidded. There it goes again, the palpitation, why am I always having a tad attack every time he’s around? I swallowed nervously, trying to think of a response to his question. "Ah, I––I thought you were Maxene."

        He squatted down beside me. "This is the place where Max and I usually chill in," informed Earl.

        "Ah," was my laconic reply.

        "Can’t you at least pretend that you’re interested in this conversation?"

        I was taken aback by his words. We never had any decent conversation, he’d always respond to my words with shrugs and nods. He was a succinct, type of guy. We only became friends due to the link I had with Maxene. "Ah, sorry," I placated, "It’s just that, I don’t really know much about you and––" I was cut off by his abrupt statement.

        "Then ask," he uttered tersely.

        I stared at him inquisitively. Is he trying to be friendly? I’ve always thought of Earl as the definition of the word callous, or was I wrong? "W––why are you cold?" I inquired honestly. Did I actually ask that? And now I wished there was some sort of reverse button so I could take back my words. He might find it rude.

        For a moment, his expression was unreadable. "How honest."

        "S-Sorry, did that offend you?"

        "No," he shook his head. "You’re honest."

        "........." I guess the way he said it was a good thing.

        "I like it when people are honest."

        I could feel my pulse quickening through my fingertips, my face felt hot and I don’t know what’s happening to me, "O––okay," I looked away, trying to direct my gaze toward something different, I couldn’t face him and I hoped that he won’t be able to see my flushed visage.

        I heard him chuckle faintly, which made my eyes widened, did he actually chuckle? "Adorable," he muttered inaudibly.

        "Huh?"

        "I said, you’re adorable," he guffawed.

        Was I actually hearing things right? He actually surprised me in just a short span of time; his laughter was manly and melodic to one’s ear. A small smile made its way into my lips; a laughing Earl was such a good sight.