The Ivy League Part 19

Start from the beginning

"I think there's a-- oh, here it is," I heard a deep masculine voice say, and then a light switched on. I blinked up into Nate's face. 

He looked wild. He was breathing hard, like he had been running for his life, his hair was tousled and messed and his eyes were wide. His tie, which Leaguers were supposed to wear on Wednesdays, had come undone and was loosely looped around his neck. 

I frowned at him and he looked at me in utter surprise. "Oh, it's just you," he said on obvious relief. 

"Thanks," I said sarcastically and Nate actually blushed. 

"I didn't mean it to sound that way, it was actually- I wanted to- what I was trying to say-" he was stumbling over his words, getting even more flustered. 

"It's just that I'm glad you're not part of the Mob," he said helpfully. 

"Huh?" I asked brightly.

He looked embarrassed. "Um, I'm glad you're not part of that group of girls who were chasing me just now. I didn't mean that I'm not happy to see you- cuz I am - but what I meant was- that is, I was trying to- oh, whatever," he gave up, breathing deeply. 

"Relax, Nate," I said, amused, and touching his arm without thinking. 

He glanced down to look at my hand on his, and at that moment both of us realized how close we were standing to each other. We both looked up from our hands touching to look at each other simultaneously, which meant that our eyes met. His eyes were serious and intense and his green one looked into mine. 

Quickly, I let go of his hand and both of us stepped away from each other. We could hear chatter on the other side of the door. Cheeks red, I desperately searched for something - anything - to say. 

"So, um, why were they chasing you, anyway?" I asked feebly, not looking at him. 

I heard him sigh. "They heard that I'm single." 

I slid a shocked glance up at him. "So why are they chasing you?" I asked again, not getting the point. 

He snorted. "Personally, I had the impression they want to be my next girlfriend, but that's just my wild guess. Have any other theories on why I would have to run for my life?" 

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, please; any other guy would swap places with you in a heartbeat if it means getting chased by girls." 

He laughed. "Yeah, I'm guessing Kyle would be running as fast as he could TO them instead of from them." 

I laughed too. I never knew it could be this easy talking to Nate. But he actually had a sense of humour - I've noticed that during all those endless practices. If only he wasn't so hot; that can get so distracting. 

"How did you know there was a light here?" I asked curiously, looking around. Football and outdoor equipment was piled in the dusty room. Two soccer goals stood behind Nate and he was casually leaning against them. 

"Let's just say this isn't the first time I've had to hide here," he grimaced. "It sounds so stupid, doesn't it, having to hide? I wish they'd all just grow up and realize I'm just another guy," he said, by 'they' meaning the screaming girls. "It gets so annoying being treated so differently. For once, I'd just like to have just one normal conversation with a girl who isn't terrified that Ellen will vaporize her into oblivion, or without her staring at a part of my body the whole time I'm saying something. I mean, I'm just a guy, right? Not some frigging superstar." 

My mouth was open by the time he was finished with his little tirade. This was the most Nate had ever said in my presence, but he didn't seem to realize that. His long fingers were tangling themselves in the soccer net, a stubborn expression on his face that made his jaw clench and become more pronounced...okay, off-topic, Courtney, I told myself.