Chapter 11

Draco's POV

He's looked absolutely glum all day. It's bothering me.

I wish he would just tell me what's wrong with him.
Maybe then I could help him, but he's not letting me.
Granted, we've never been close. Though, I kinda wish we were.

I'll never admit it, but when he didn't take my hand first year, it crushed me. Not surprising though, I was a major git back then, I still am today.

We're sitting in potions waiting for Snape to give us instructions on what we are brewing today.

Snape seemed concentrated on something. An internal battle if you will. Class started several minutes ago, but Professor Snape had said nothing.

The kids in the class seemed to take advantage of this and talked to their friends.

That included Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Currently I am eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Umbridge is teaching us nothing! We've got to do something about it!" Hermione screeched in a low whispering voice.

"What are we gonna do Hermione! We're all separated except for a few classes and now that I'm a Slytherin, no one even trusts me. Granted no one trusted me before this, but it's worse now." Harry replied. He was still solemn and seemed completely out of it.

I wasn't able to get him to eat more today, which sucks, but there is always dinner.

"Harry's right, Hermione. Umbridge is watching all three of us with close knitted eyes! We're lucky to go to the bathroom without being interrogated."

They seem to have forgotten that I too can hear them or maybe they don't care.

"The Hogsmeade trip is coming up, why not devise a plan there." Hermione said.

You know, that's not a bad idea. If they really wanted to do something, Hogsmeade was the best place to get away from Umbridge.

I watched as the Weasels eyes grew bigger. "That's brilliant Hermione! We can convince people to join us in learning real defense against the dark arts and Harry you could be our teacher!"

Harry looked gobbed smacked. "I think not! I can barely leave the dorms without someone hexing me! Let alone teach people how to defend themselves even more!"

I was taken back. He's been getting hexed? Why haven't I known about this?

"What do you mean you're getting hexed Harry?" Hermione grew concerned.

Harry sighs. "Just some seventh years thinking it's funny to send stinging hexes my way anytime they see me alone. Not a big deal." He shrugged his shoulders.

"Not a big deal?! How can you be so relaxed? Why don't you fight?" I bursted. Whoops, I wasn't supposed to let them know I was listening.

The trio turned to me, shocked expressions across their faces. Harry eventually just shrugged again.

"If it makes them feel better, then I really don't care." It seemed Ron, Hermione, and I all had the same idea to bicker back, but were cut off.

"Get back to your seats! Lessons are starting." Hermione and Ron shuffled over to their seats, Ron next to Neville and Hermione next to some other Ravenclaw. I didn't bother to know her name. "We will be doing the Membrall potion today. You and the person next to you will make the potion on page 345, then one of you will test the potion. The person who tested the potion will then see memories of their partners past for ten minutes. Begin!"

This is perfect. Maybe now I can get to the bottom of Harry and why he's so damaged or hurt or.... I don't know, but I'll find out.

"Dibs on drinking it." I announced.

Harry looked at me. I could see the fear in his eyes. "What?! No! I wanted to take it."

"Too bad. I already called dibs."

"Malfoy. I'm being serious. I don't want you taking it."

"And why not?"

He looked down at his feet. "Just because. I want to take it."

"No." I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip. He's going to hate me for it, but so be it. I am worried about him, but I can't help him if I don't know how he got so broken.

"I think that is a marvelous idea, Mr. Malfoy." I turned my head to see Snape looking over at us.

Harry's jaw dropped. His eyes furrowed together. "But professor-"

"No buts, Mr. Potter. I have made my decision that Draco will take the potion. Besides, I don't want you lingering in my God sons memories." Snape lifted his eyebrow and curled his lip, making it seem like he challenged Harry to argue back.

Harry just huffed and sat down in his seat looking away.

Maybe we were being a bit too mean, but we're Slytherin's, he should expect this.

Snape leaned down to whisper something that only I could hear.

"I want a full report on what you saw after dinner today in my office." I nodded my head and Snape turned around quickly to watch the other students.

While Harry sat sullenly there, I started on the potion.

"Are you going to sit there or help me?" I remarked.

"I hate you both." My hand dropped the spoon that was used to stir the contents that sat in the cauldron.

That kinda hurt.

I felt guilty. Whatever he's hiding, he really doesn't want people to know.

To be honest, I'm starting to think that not even Weasel and Granger knows what Harry's been through.

"Duely noted Potter. Now, help me so we don't fail this assignment." Harry reluctantly stood up and started chopping up the Mandrake root.

The potion takes about twenty minutes to make in total and in all fairness, it's quite a difficult potion.

Not that I had any trouble with it, seeing that I am the potions genius.

Our potion was nearly complete and I could already see Granger down her potion. Her eyes went white and her body was rigid, which meant the potion had worked.

Finally. Ours was done, I poured some of it into a vial.

I brought to my lips to down it, but Harry stopped me.

He had a desperate look in his eyes. "Please Draco. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. For me? Will you please not take it?"

I hesitated. A prideful Gryffindor was begging me not to do something. " I'm sorry Harry, but.....I want to help you. You may not believe it, but I'm gonna fix you, I just need to know first." Then, I tipped my head backwards and downed the potion in one go.