thirty-nine | rain hell

Start from the beginning

Towards the end of Aurora's sentence, her voice became shaky as her tear-brimmed eyes searched the crowd as if wanting to find someone. My heart broke at the sight as her gaze met mine and I instantly mouthed, "you can do this".  I felt Millie slip her hand into my own as she gave it a squeeze.

As if she heard, she slightly nodded before wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "Dakota loved me through everything and she was the one person who was always behind me because if I fell, she was there to pick me right up."

Aurora exhaled slowly as the people around me began to sniff and some even began to sob as Aurora turned her body to face the portrait. She quickly folded the piece of paper and slipped it inside her pocket before continuing, "Dakota, I promise you that I'm going to live my life to the fullest. I'm going to go to college, graduate, marry the love of my life and raise the children I'm going to have and I will not be afraid because I know that you're going to be with me every step of the way and in every decision I make. I will not be afraid of anything because I know you're going to be there for me through it all. You are the one person who truly believed in me, believed that I could be something great and I will not let you down. Thank you for showing me that this world could be given a chance to live. So, fly high, angel. I love you."

A tear slipped down my cheek as I realised that I should've done more to honour Kahlilah's memory and Aurora had made me realised that. She had sacrificed herself for me. And what was I doing now?

Aurora walked up to the closed casket and I knew she was trying really hard to not break down as she took out a photograph -one I could not see- as she kissed it before placing it one the top of the casket. She then walked to the portrait slowly, placing the sunflower she had been holding in her hand underneath.

An hour passed by and the burial ended as I leaned against the tree, watching Aurora's parents bid the guests goodbye. I licked my lips as my eyes danced to Aurora who was sitting down next to Dakota's polished headstone, her head against the surface as her lips moved. The two figures in the corner of my eyes were approaching me as I averted my gaze from Aurora to see Cayden and Millie rushing to me.

Cayden must've caught my gaze because he said, "you should go to her. She needs you."

I bit my lip and nodded. "I know."

Millie placed a hand on my bicep with a sad smile. "We'll see you at home."

Cayden wrapped an arm around Millie's shoulders as they both walked away to their cars, leaving me to attend to my girlfriend. I inhaled slowly before walking over towards Aurora who was now picking at the grass.

"Hey," she whispered, her eyes looking up at me as my heartstrings tugged at the sight.

I smiled. "Hey."

I offered her a hand and she took it as I helped her up to her feet before she wrapped her arms around my torso, resting her head against my chest. I placed a kiss on top of her head before pulling her close to me. "She's always in your heart."

"I know, Ash, I know," Aurora sighed. "I miss her."

"Then lets do something in honour of her memory," I whispered as the gentle breeze caressed my cheek while my gaze slid to the headstone beside Dakota's. I smiled down at my sister's headstone. Aurora retracted her arms back to her side as I walked to Kalilah's headstone and placed a kiss on the cool surface. "Let's do something in honour of their memories."

A smile played on Aurora's lips. "Like what?"

"Let's rain hell," I suggested, smirking. "Let's take on adventures and risks. Let's explore the damn world and rain hell on it for taking our loved ones away from us. Are you still my partner in crime?" The world was cruel, indeed.

Aurora threw her head back and laughed, the melodic sound wrapping around my heart. "Always, Nixon."

The world wasn't ready for a Steele and a Nixon to take on the world.

May we have mercy on them.

a/n: Ok y'all I had to post this even though I just posted the last chapter like almost twenty-three hours ago. I wanted you guys to read the ending! my heart screams for Aurora & Ashton. I literally can't - they're the best! what do you guys think?

So, this is indeed the last chapter of this novel and I am so beyond honoured to have written Aurora's story. I am so sad to see them go but at one point, we have to let our loved ones go eventually hehe. Yes, there will be an epilogue into their futures so do not fear, but other than that, I just want to tell you guys that I appreciate y'all so much. Thank you for having faith in this book when I didn't. It honestly -can't stress that enough- means the world to me.

thank you for your support :)

ariella xo