twenty-seven | happiness never lasts, do they?

I was astonished when I found my cousin leaning against my door frame, his arms crossed over his broad chest as he watched me text my best friends in our group chat. I saw him in the corner of my eye just as he chuckled before I leapt from my bed in excitement and went to give him a bone-crushing hug.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I questioned my beloved cousin, Damon, who snickered in delight at my frustration and confusion. He always loved to see me suffer. I had overheard my cousin invite Ashton in and that pissed me off.

He shrugged, tucking his hands into the pockets of his typical bad boy jacket. "Give him a chance, Luna. It's not every day you find a guy that looks at you the way he looks at you."

I raised an eyebrow at him and shook my head amusedly, the memory of me showing a sign of weakness in the school hallway replaying in my mind like a haunted memory that lingered in the dark corners of my mind. "You don't understand. You don't know the whole story to it."

Damon sighed heavily and looked over his shoulder to see Ashton standing in the foyer awkwardly, his arms resting on his chest as he leant against the wall. "Then why don't you tell me the whole story? Better yet, you can both tell me the whole story."

"Suck your girlfriend's ass," I hissed in response, shaking my head in fury as my heart pounded against my chest and I didn't know why I was reacting like this. Maybe it was because I couldn't stand being in the same room as him now.

When I turned my attention to Damon, a smirk rested on his lips as a dirty thought crossed my mind. I laughed and playfully swatted his chest in disgust as Damon let out a hearty laugh.

"I'm kidding!" he exclaimed, shaking his head amusedly. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Come on, talk to him."

"No," I deadpanned.

"You're being a big baby."

"Well, guess what? I'm a big baby then."

"Ashton!" Damon exclaimed, turning on his heel as he walked over towards the awkward figure in the foyer confidently.

Ashton's eyes lit up at the sound of his name, his eyes instantly meeting my own as I quickly averted my gaze away from him and slightly shook my head. I watched Damon, in the corner of my eyes, drape an arm around his shoulder and lead him upstairs.

And it was obvious to where they were going.

I bolted for the stairs but they had reached my room just seconds before. I cursed under my breath as both boys seemed to be comfortable with each other already because they lounged together on my bed.

"Ashton, I still don't know why the fuck you're here," I said, glaring at Ashton who seemed amused before turning my attention to Damon who chuckled. "And Damon, you don't fucking own this place. Both of you, get out."

"She's so hot when she swears," Ashton said in a dreamy voice as his eyes focused on me with a smirk on his face, forcing my cheeks to heat up as Damon threw his head back and laughed.

"Ever had a girlfriend?" Damon questioned curiously but I could tell that the question being asked wasn't for his own amusement.

My ears perked up at the question as I took my phone out while I waited for Ashton's answer.

He chuckled. "No, actually. I don't want to waste my time on girls who aren't going to be there for the long run. You know?"