Chapter Seven - Waiting

She had been watching them from the moment Soren had stepped foot back in Blackrose. She knew Soren would eventually come back to his family.

Soren had promised her three years ago, when he left, he would come home and they could finally be married.

"Aleris please, I know you don't think I would just leave and never come back." Soren had said to her, but it was exactly what he had done. For three years she waited. Sick of waiting for his return, she instead hunted him down like prey.

When she finally found Soren, he was with someone else.

Soren had her pinned up against a wall. Aleris knew what he wanted from the poor girl; he had done the same to her when they were younger.

Aleris clenched her fist tightly, either she would leave on her own, or Aleris would make her leave.

She had watched them for two days before they left. Even after her warning, the foolish girl had chosen to stay with Soren.

Now it was time she learnt not to mess with things that weren't hers. Aleris would break her, for playing with her toy.

Aleris knew which way they were heading and planned to cut them off before they got to Dewhurst. This girl would be lost in the mountains and forgotten, Soren would be hers once more. Together they would rule over EmHelion, just like her father had planned.

Nothing would stop her... nothing.

If the weather held out they would get to Dewhurst in a few weeks. Aleris thought, as she looked over to where her Vallenari, striker was.

Her Slepnir was the fastest in the land and she had trained him well, he fussed as she walked closer, putting her hand on his black main, his red eyes pierce through the darkest of nights.

It is said that they are the last thing you see before the devil comes, this always made Aleris laugh, being called the devil, night stalker, shadow. All of them struck fear in any man, all but one. Until the day she went too far and he never had the same look as before.

Aleris hoisted herself onto Striker's back; taking the golden reins in, Striker gallops off in the direction he is led.

The dawn broke over the mountain range, sun light breaking its way into the dark canopy that hid Aleris from the rest of the passing travellers. Patiently waiting for her prey to come past, slowly she would hunt them, before her final strike.

Striker grew impatient beneath her, giving him a nudge with the heel of her boot, stopping his motion, she spots her prey as they leave the home and head for the stables out back.

    *******

Ophelia woke up to an empty bed, the sun beginning to shine in the open window. Felling better rested than she had for the past two mornings.

The smell of food filling the air, her belly lets out a small rumble.

Ophelia showered quickly and dressed for the long ride ahead of them, making sure to wear her warmer riding pants. She placed her sword belt around her hips, buckling the strap tight around her hips, then her thigh before placing her dagger in its sheath, firmly by her thigh.

She would gather her sword and bow when she went to saddle Nylah.

Sitting at the table, she ate what would be her last home cooked meal for a few weeks, alone.  Making sure not to over eat, Ophelia placed her dishes in the sink, before heading for the door, she was sure everyone else must be in the stables saying their goodbyes.

Ophelia grabbed her riding cloak, wrapping it around her shoulders before walking out the front door.

Ophelia followed the small pathway around the back of the house, opening the stable doors wide when she reached her destination. The doors creak open, revealing Vincent, Lorelei and her Vallenari, "where is Soren?" she asks, confused when she doesn't see him, or echo for that fact.