eight

Margo's eyes focused on the trees that passed by as Edwards car zoomed past them. Her body shook as the tears never stopped flowing from her eyes. Margo had tried to stop crying, she'd tried to stop the shaking and the fear, but she just couldn't drop it all.

She ruined everything.

"You didn't run anything Margo" Edward told her, the sound of his voice at normal volume made her jump slightly.

"You don't know how things were before I came along, I did ruin things" Margo nodded her head fiercely, the tears rolling down her cheeks and onto her hoodie, her breath still heavy and uneven as she thought about it.

Margo watched as Edward turned the car onto a driveway. While her body was screaming "this is unfamiliar, ask him where you are going", her brain couldn't make her mouth move as she took deep breaths in and out.

"You are spectacular Margo Baker. You have no idea how lucky the world is to have you"

"Why is the world an animate object?" The question made him laugh slightly, which made the girl beside him scrunch her eyebrows as she looked at him.

"I meant the people in the world, not the world itself"Edward watched from his side eye as Margo's eyes went back and forth, analyzing everything Edward had just said. Margo didn't understand, and though she hadn't given it much thought until her father said something, she was beginning to think he was right. Why was Edward being so nice to her, why was he driving her to and from school, why was he trying to be in her life?

Margo often thought of herself as a puzzle piece that just never seemed to fit; anywhere. She was the piece that was cut wrong, the piece that ruined the puzzle by making her incomplete. Margo didn't think that she fit anywhere, with anyone, sometimes she felt like maybe she wasn't ever supposed too.

"I think sometimes people have a tendency to put themselves into boxes. A person is either one thing or another, things are either black or white. I don't think like that, life is a grey area" Edward said, from nowhere, which made Margo eye him as his eyes focused on the road.

"How can things be grey?"Margo asked, blind to the fact that she wasn't crying anymore, her breathing almost steady now.

"Because we don't meet every situation with the same mindset. How you feel about doing the right thing might change depending on the person"

"No" Margo said, shaking her head.

"The right thing is the right thing, regardless." Margo said, watching as they drove up to the most beautiful house she'd ever seen. Her eyes went a little wide as Edward put the car in park. The house was beautiful, everything was symmetrical, inhumanly perfect in a way, almost like Edward.

"So you're saying that you wouldn't do anything for your brother?"

"Of course I would"

"Grey area, "Edward said, smiling at her as the boy watched her go speechless.

"Okay, I will take the grey theory under consideration," Margo told him, nodding her head as her eyes focused on her hands that sat on her lap.

"Have you ever?"Margo asked, neither of them moving from the car as they sat in an almost comfortable silence.

"Done the thing that wasn't exactly right because you cared for them? Entered the grey area?"

"I have"Edward nodded, biting his tongue so he didn't continue the sentance.

"Have you?"He asked, watching as Margo's eyes scanned back and forth before she nodded her head.

"I think I have actually. When you asked me to sit with you at lunch"