Put A.....Paris??: Part One

May 2015

Susanna's POV

I felt my heart race making the certified letter in my hands shake. Lifting my eyes, I met Stephanie's who was impatiently waiting to see what I was pale as a ghost for. My mouth opened and closed a few times as I struggled to make my brain form the words. Shock was all that was going through my mind. I wasn't sure I believed things myself. I reached out pinching her arm earning me a smack in return that proved I wasn't dreaming.

"You are going to lose those talented fingers Suz," Stephanie growled trying to grab the letter out of my hands, but I batted her away stepping around the prep table. "What in the world does that letter say?"

"It's a personal offer from Jacques Mormont," I gasped out feeling like my heart was pounding out of my chest. Steph's eyes widened in recognition at the name. Knew I drooled over any new recipe the man shared. Had drug her to Atlanta a few years ago for a seminar he had hosted. Even saying the words out loud didn't sound real. "With a chance to study under him."

"You've said he makes some of the best pastries in the world!" she said. I could see the excitement growing in her eyes. "Susanna! That is amazing!"

"I can't believe it Steph," I murmured reading over the details that it included an option for housing so that ruled out one worry. I swallowed deeply looking up to meet my cousin's eyes shaking my head. "But I can't go."

"Do fucking what!" Stephanie yelled so loud making Katie, our newest high school helper gasp as she grabbed another tray of cupcakes off the counter darting back through the doors. "Like hell you can't! Suz, studying cooking in Paris has always been a dream of yours! I don't want to hear the words you are too old come out of your mouth either! Twenty-seven isn't ancient!" Tears welled in my eyes as I slumped against the counter dropping my head. I sniffled as Stephanie wrapped an arm around me. "What is holding you back?"

"We are expanding," I sighed feeling a yank on my ponytail. "Again. You and Josh can't run three locations without me."

"Like hell we can't," Stephanie argued rolling her eyes. "We've already been doing it. You and I have put a competent team in place Susanna. It's time for you to do something for yourself too. Think of what you can add by studying there. There is already a demand for your specialty wedding cakes all over north Georgia. Soooo what is your next excuse?"

"B," I murmur quietly. Stephanie let out a snort shaking her head. I swear she was two seconds away from chasing me around the kitchen with a rolling pin or a wooden spoon. I was headed to the airport soon to fly out to spend the weekend on the road with him. A cake needing to be finished was the only reason I hadn't left with him yesterday. "We already have one of us gone all the time in this relationship. Don't need both of us."

"You are just asking for that man to turn your ass red aren't you?" she scoffed turning her attention back to icing cookies. "Try and use him for your excuse on not going. I dare you Susanna Grace. He will load you on the plane himself. We both know it. He supports you in anything you set your mind to. You know that. Hell, he and Ben are the ones who scouted the new location closest to campus for us."

"I know he does," I sighed pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration. But this was more than me being busy with orders and him being on the road. This was a year. A freaking year in Paris. "I've got a lot to think about and Jacques, according to this letter, he needs a decision by tomorrow."

"There is no answer but yes Suzie Q," Stephanie sighed shaking her head then pointed to the door. "Go on and get out of here. Straight to the airport. Enjoy your weekend okay."

"Okay, okay," I laughed untying my apron before heading into my office to grab my things. I knew I had a lot to think about on my flight to Dallas regardless of what Stephanie said. I mean could I really just up and leave my family, my boyfriend, and my business for a year? Yea, there was a lot of potential to come from me studying there but still. I'd already seen Brantley's tentative schedule for this fall going into next year. It was packed. All of that plus him spending so much time in Alabama getting the farm he bought running like he wanted. I was so damn proud of what he had planned for that. My hands shook slightly as I drove. What was he going to say about all this if I left for a year?