Highlight of Small Town Life

Mrs. Ruby Johnson's POV ( thank you baseballfan8 😏😁😈)

I took a deep breath loving the smell of the fall air. The lovely golden leaves falling to the ground. Just enough chill in the air to keep away the mugginess of the South. Taking a sip of the coffee I had grabbed from One Hale of a Bakery, I looked down at my sweet little poodle Mitizi prancing along as we walked turning onto our street. Why I loved living close to Main Street. Close to everything and as Elmer would remind me, close to the gossip.

I had the signature pink bag of the bakery looped over my wrist with the Halloween cookies I had picked up for the trick or treaters tomorrow night. I had asked Stephanie where Susanna was. Not like her to not be there when I went into get my coffee while I was walking Mitizi. Hope the poor child wasn't sick. All Stephanie had done was bite her bottom lip and say that Susanna was getting some much deserved rest. That poor girl did work way too hard.

I guess I could give Connie a call when I got home to check on her. We'd been visiting the grandkids in Florida the last few weeks, so I was a little out of sorts on the news of the prayer chain. Elmer would snort, shake his paper, and tell me to admit I had missed out on the latest town gossip. I proceeded down our street with a pep in my step and a yip from Mitzi when a loud roar made me jump. My poor little angel darted back to hide around my legs shaking.

A black motorcycle zoomed by making me gasp. Why I never! Looking closer I recognized the rider with no problem. If that don't beat all I ever seen in this world. No good, no account for nothing, hoodlum oldest Gilbert boy. Bless his mama. I needed to say an extra prayer for her. Becky is a saint and no matter what she did he was a rotten apple at times. A hell raiser through and through. What had me spinning around almost tripping over Mitzi's leash was the woman on the back. A shock of auburn hair blowing in the wind. I could hear a booming laugh from Brantley as he stopped at the stop sign making my jaw almost hit the pavement.

Is that? Oh, I know I was not seeing Coach Hale's sweet little girl on that monstrosity of a death machine! I watched as he leaned back catching Susanna's lips in a slow kiss making even me blush for it being in broad daylight. Heavens to Betsy! They needed to be on the prayer list. Ughhh someone needs to talk to her. Just can't believe she is taking up with the likes of him.

Susanna's POV

I rubbed my hands along the sleeves of my navy blue sweater wishing I had grabbed my jacket out of my Jeep when Tiffany and I parked at the football field earlier. It was Friday night in the fall of course under these bright lights is where I would be. Highlight of small town life and a lot of times like a religion of its own. Mama had warned me it would get cooler as the sun went down. She was settled back in her chair rest with a red blanket over her knees. Decked out in Jefferson High regalia from head to toe looking every inch of a coach's wife.

When I was younger I had wanted to be just like her. Guess I was in some ways. Did have a crush on the starting quarterback back in the day. Was tied to this small town for sure with my business now. That faint dream of studying baking in France teased at the edge of my mind from time to time. But that is all it was, a dream. Tiffany reached over tugging on the bright red scarf I was wearing with a smirk leaning closer to me. Her long blonde hair pulled up in a high ponytail complete with bow from our cheerleading days. I had always been a little too shy to tryout until our senior year.

"Why the scarf Suz?" she whispered with a snicker. I felt my entire face turn red as I glared at her. "Got something to hide?"

"Don't know what you are talking about," I grumbled through clenched teeth forcing a smile on my face as Mrs. Ruby walked by holding onto the arm of her husband Elmer shaking her head at me. Well that was strange she always stopped and spoke normally. I elbowed Tiffany as she giggled. "Stop Tiff. I..."