Chapter Sixteen

The Doctor's grip on the edge of the console tightened as he leaned upon it and hung his head in deep contemplation. His grasp on reality had been progressively slipping the longer he endured the unyielding nature of his eternal illness. Every second that passed continued to drain him of rational thought. Though he wouldn't consider himself a stranger when it came to difficult decisions, they had become significantly harder to make the less control he had over his own free will. Every choice, whether rash or not, had almost always been meticulously filtered through a series of precise calculations or matched with his past experiences. But now, as he struggled internally over the loss of his morality, he found himself unable to determine if there was any part of him remaining to help guide him towards the path of righteousness.

He lifted his head and glanced towards the sleeping form of his companion on the upper platform. She looked so peaceful in slumber, he hadn't the hearts to disturb her, nor move her to her own room. Until now, she had become increasingly restless - continuing to wander about the ship as if searching for answers within the walls that kept her safely confined. Whether it be due to growing weary of her time spent solely on the TARDIS or simply a condition of her pregnancy, this was the first time he had seen her truly rested since bringing her on board. Having spent the last few weeks under his care, he was relieved to see that her health had finally improved. The colour of her skin had a livelier shade to it than it had before. The once skeletal features of her face had filled to its naturally intended beauty. He found himself just as captivated by the return of her maternal glow as he was by her body's ability to transform itself so magnificently.

Though her presence brought a sense of balance and serenity into his life again, there was something even greater weighing on his mind. Clara's happiness meant everything to him. Yet, as long as danger was still lurking around every corner on the hunt to find them, they could never leave the safety of these walls. How much time could be spared before she'd resent him for keeping her trapped like a caged animal? How much longer before she'd yearn to feel the freedom of the sun upon her face once more? There was nothing in the universe he wouldn't give her, no request unreasonable enough to deny her. When it came to her happiness and safety, there was nothing he wouldn't consider. Nothing too valuable to be bartered with, even if it meant his own life. He sighed and closed his eyes as the memory of their most recent conversation filtered into his mind.

In the middle of a vibrant field of green sat the recognisable shape of the TARDIS, resting herself beneath the crown of an ancient weeping willow. Leaned against her side sat the familiar presence of her silver-haired Time Lord. His arms were gently wrapped around the thin frame of his beloved companion as he supported her head on his shoulder. Their fingers entwined, the old man absent-mindedly stroked his thumb over the smooth surface of her hand as they looked towards nature's most glorious scenery. A light breeze rustled the blades of grass all around them. The silhouette of trees in the distance swayed in motion with each gentle brush of wind as if partnered to the rhythm of an amorous waltz. One could not have asked for a clearer night sky as millions of brightly coloured stars shone upon the admiring couple from the northernmost hemisphere.

"Cassiopeia," Clara stated confidently.

"Good. And there?" he spoke softly, raising his free hand to point towards the next cluster of visible stars.

"And here I thought you had a challenge for me," she teased. "Andromeda, one of the largest constellations. Her name once meant the 'ruler of man'." A coy smile escaped her, tilting her head to meet his distracted gaze.

"Not bad, for a literature teacher. You're improving."

"Was that... a compliment?" She raised her brow.