Chapter Eleven

London, England 1865

Clara opened the door to the TARDIS and confidentially stepped outside the box. She had graciously substituted her damp clothing for a maroon-coloured mid-nineteenth-century European day dress with matching chemisette as per request from the Doctor before their departure. He soon appeared from the doorway bearing a similar in colour waistcoat and trousers and placed a black top hat upon his head.

It was early evening. The lamps on the streets were being lit as fresh snow covered the cobblestone path. The doors to the small residences in the alley had been decorated with ribbons and holly. The scent of wood being burned from nearby chimneys filled the air. The faint sound of carollers was heard from somewhere nearby, giving off the warm-hearted feeling of Christmas time. A horse-drawn carriage made its way passed as the coachman tipped his hat in greeting towards them.

"Remind me where we are again?" she requested, leaning towards the old man.

"London, eighteen sixty-five," he informed her, taking in the fresh air around them.

"All the planets and stars in the universe at our disposal and you went with Earth." She frowned, fastening the button of her small fitted coat.

"What's wrong with Earth?"

"Did people seriously wear this many layers of clothing? I think even my sweat is sweating."

"Have I mentioned how lovely you look when you're trying?" He smiled at her appearance.

"You're being nice. Why are you being nice?" She raised her brow.

"Because it works on you. Shall we?" He gestured forward.

"Probably could have done without the corset. How did women even breathe in these things?" She adjusted her undergarment, attempting to relieve the pressure to her waist, then took his arm as he led them down the path. The alley was fairly busy with life. A few children were playing in the snow as the shop owners locked up their doors for the night. Several young couples strolled arm in arm. The men tipped their hats in acknowledgement of each other as a few noticeable glances were given in her direction from the wandering eyes of the ladies they were accompanied by. If there was ever a time for a young woman to be with child while escorted by a gentleman much older than herself and not feel a sense of judgement from the norms of society, it would be then.

They continued to walk through the town. Clara took in every moment she could as she felt it would likely be her last trip for the foreseeable future. The last hurrah. She observed the various passing scents of supper being served from their pots. The gathering of friends and family around their small tables. To her surprise, the Doctor remained fairly quiet in lieu of normal conversation - unlike their previous journeys together. For once, he wasn't looking for danger, analysing objects out of place, or people not meant to be there. It was as if he was truly there just for her, with no sign of an underlying motive to be unearthed. "I've been thinking," she started, putting the silence to rest.

"I thought I detected burning wires."

"Shut up." She lightly smacked his arm.

"You know, you should really come with a warning label. 'Small but fiery, please use extreme caution'."

She ignored his humour. "We haven't discussed much from that night back on Prima Nova."

"What is there to discuss?" He tried to avoid where he knew the conversation was headed.

"Well, for one, how did we get back the first time? How did we end up at my flat in the TARDIS?"

"I don't know. My link to the Persuader was broken before I could receive all of my memories." He tried to remain as vague as possible, hoping she would accept what little information he had to offer.