Run to Daddy { preference }

Start from the beginning

But here’s what Ashton didn’t tell you: three hours before the show, he still had no babysitter. So as a last resort he asked one of the assistants if they’d watch Jake, and the young woman happily agreed, saying that she loved kids. With that being settled, Ashton went into overdrive trying to prepare. He packed a duffel bag with toys for the toddler as well as a change of clothes and multiple PullUps, seeing as the war with potty training was still currently in affect.

But then they were at the venue, and Ashton gave Jake a kiss goodbye and the toddler became someone else’s problem and Ashton went into band mode. Everything was going just fine. Sound check flew by, as did the pre-show meet and greet. And then it was time for the show, and Ashton fell into the groove he did with every show. He wasn’t sure how much time passed or what was going on off the stage, and it was kind of great. After “Good Girls”, Ashton bent down to reach underneath his seat and grab a bottle of water, leaning his head back to take a drink. He could hear the boys bantering in his ear-piece and the girls screaming, all that was normal, but then the screaming escalated and the boys just started to laugh.

Ashton looked around in confusion, leaning forward. “Why are we laughing? What happened?” he asked before he felt something collide with his leg. He had a double-take as he looked down and saw Jake hugging his leg tightly. It was too loud to hear what he was saying, but Ashton was pretty sure Jake’s lips were mouthing the words ‘Up! Up!”

Ashton quickly picked the boy up and settled him in his lap, taking his microphone out of the holder. “What are you doing, buddy?” he asked before turning the microphone to pick up his son’s voice.

“Missed you, Daddy. Wanted a hug,” Jake replied, not talking into the microphone, but rather up at his dad’s face. Ashton smiled at that, the fans all squealed and screamed, and the other boys had a couple of comments for the crowd while Ashton took a few minutes to cuddle his son and place some kisses on his cheeks. After about two minutes though, he stood with his son and headed over to the assistant, who was standing right off the stage, her eyes wide as saucers.

“I’m so sorry!” she gasped. “He got away so fast and I didn’t grab him in time.”

“It’s fine,” Ashton promised, smiling. “Don’t worry about it.” Then he looked to Jake, brushing his hair away from his face. “Okay, Jake. You stay here, yeah? I’ll be done soon,” he promised. Jake nodded and let himself get transferred from his father to the girl.

“Love you, Daddy,” he called, and Ashton echoed the statement before jogging back onto the stage to finish the show.

Michael

The band was playing in Sydney, Australia the night of Michael’s birthday, not that the man minded. Playing shows was fun; it made the dad of two years feel like a teenager again. You and the twins headed out to watch the show with the band, figuring you guys could get dinner beforehand and celebrate the special occasion. And you guys did have a nice dinner together before Michael had to disappear for sound check. You took the two year old twins back to the greenroom to hang out, and they were busy playing Legos when Luke came in.

“Hey, so we’re planning on taking a minute or two to say Happy Birthday to Michael during the set, and I just wanted to know if you wanted to come out on stage too,” the tall man offered. You shrugged.

“I really don’t, but I’m sure the kids would love it. You could even have one run in from each side of the stage and surprise him,” you giggled. Luke grinned.

“I love that idea. If you want to watch one from one side I can slip off and get the other. It’ll be awesome. I’ll come back and get you guys when it’s time,” Luke told you before disappearing once more. You settled back onto the floor with the kids to play and wait for Luke’s return.